Winter activities in Yosemite

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Winter activities in Yosemite

Post by overheadx2 »

I started snowshoeing last year and really enjoy it. XC skiing seems to be the next logical progression. As a fun but way to expensive way to get started I recently made reservations for a night at glacier point ski hut for the wife and I in early March. I will be staying at the lodge at Yosemite falls in the valley for two days prior. My question is, what are some snow shoe hikes / activities around the valley in winter, and anything I shouldn't miss while at the glacier point hut. My goal is to get a feel for skiing this year and possibly get some experience for a more advanced trip later this year or next year.
Last edited by overheadx2 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Winter activities in Yosemite

Post by AlmostThere »

Are you planning to take some lessons in XC skiing before heading out to the hut? It's a long-ish ski, but the road is groomed for skiers.

Around the valley I generally bring traction devices (yaktrax or microspikes) for the boots. The main issue there is ice in parking areas and walkways, and a lot of the trails are paved. The snow is deep enough to snowshoe at higher elevations - like the snowshoe routes to Dewey Point from Badger.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Winter activities in Yosemite

Post by overheadx2 »

Yes, we are headed up to the nordic center at big bear to take some lessons. We plan to do quite a bit of local skiing before we go.