Hiking in June

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
brob757
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Hiking in June

Post by brob757 »

Normally when I go to the Sierras I end up staying in Fresno. For some reason I have really come to enjoy Kings Canyon and the lack of crowds. But then again I've never travelled to Tioga RD so I'm in for a real treat there. I know the rough fire did lots of damage. And I want to show my wife the giant forest. She really is interested in seeing these Sequoia trees and walking to the top of Morro Rock! I heard about the grove closures in Yosemite. For the Yosemite portion I think I will be staying in Yosemite high country, though. Maybe for 4-5 days. Thanks again!
brob757
Topix Novice

Post by brob757 »

Oldranger,

You mentioned acclimating to the altitude in Tuolumne meadows. Any other suggestions for lodging in the area? I've seen several options. Tioga Lodge is at a decently high altitude of just over 9,600 feet, is that too high to acclimate? Would options in Lee Vining be useful? Seems to be too low of an altitude there. I've hopped around at close to 8k feet before with no problems that I could tell, and I went up Morro Rock last time with no issues although I was a smoker then and was battling a terrible round of the flu at the time. But still Morro Rock is a much lower altitude. Thanks in advance!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

9600' is not too high to acclimatize, as long as you take it slow the first day. When I hit that area, I generally do it from the East entrance and stay in the campgrounds near Tioga Lake.
You could also stay at Tioga Pass Resort If you want a bed. My opinion is you need at least a day to walk around up high a bit and try and get your breath back. Nothing wrong with the lodge either. All depends on the $$$'s you want to spend. Lee Vining would not be useful in my opinion.

with the current snowpack numbers (assuming the storms don't stall), June might be too early.
brob757
Topix Novice

Post by brob757 »

Thanks, I appreciate it. I was thinking the same thing about possibly being too early. I am coming in late June. My sister in law is getting married in mid July so unfortunately I can't change my dates since my wife will be a big part of the prep leading up to it. With that said I made the decision to stay in Fresno the whole trip. I just didn't want to take a chance on making reservations in the high country and not having anywhere to stay since it appears to be shaping up as a banner year for snowfall in the Sierras. I'll still get to hike the mist trail and possibly the panorama trail so long as Glacier point is open. I'll also get to take my wife over to the coast for a day which is also a plus since I enjoy the Big Sur area. I'm sure a few elephant seals will have stuck around at Piedras Blancas too so we will get to enjoy that too! Thanks again for all of your help!
brob757
Topix Novice

Post by brob757 »

Thanks to all who gave advice. I did not get to hike as much as I would like to have but that was mainly because I was showing my wife around the wonderful Sierras and other beautiful parts of the great state of California. We did walk to Taft point which I thought was awesome, to Tokopah falls, and also well above mist falls which I found to be beautiful! The view back down through the canyon was priceless! We ran into two rattlesnakes which was awesome! The first one very close to Roads end right along the trail, and the second one right at the split off for Bulbbs Creek trail just before the bridge. That one simply ticked twice and ran for the hills. The first one rattled like crazy and put on quite a show. It was coiled and ready for action. I tried to move it along with a stick but it would not budge. I also managed to catch a king snake. Sorry, I'm a snake lover and had to pick it up! It bit the crap outta me but it was worth a few pin pricks to hold such a beautiful creature!

We also managed to make it into the high country on Tioga Rd. What an amazing stretch of mountain wonderland! I was in heaven! However, I did experience AMS after several hours around 9,000 feet. Not fun! I had to urinate a lot, I felt tired, dizzy, and a bit foggy. But it was worth it! We drove over to Lee Vining to eat. Lee Vining Canyon was spectacular! My eyes nearly hopped out of my head to stay behind! Naturally, after we got into the town I started feeling much better and I especially felt better after a cup of coffee! On the way back through, I felt no symptoms at all! Maybe the coffee helped. We did take a short spin south on 395 and I was once again loving the scenery! I couldn't get over how the Sierras just seemed to rocket straight up out of the surroundings with really no foothills to speak of. Beautiful country! We also spent a few days along the coast. Drove from Monterey down to Moro Bay. We visited the Monterey Bay aquarium, saw plenty of sea otters feeding which was quite a treat, and lots of elephant seals of course!

I just can't express how much I love the Sierras and the scenery in California. I was happy to be blessed with the opportunity to be there once again! I only hope there will be plenty more opportunities to visit in my lifetime!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Sounds like you and your wife had a great time. What was your wife's impression (as if I really have to ask)?

Yes, we really do have a plethora of diverse natural beauty here. When I was young, an uncle of mine took me on a day trip. We flew kites in the desert, then played in the snow somewhere around Big Bear, then ended up at the beach. Had I been older, I could have rounded it out with a trip to Hollywood for some night life. In my 20's, one weekend, I hiked to the top of Mt. San Gorgonio at 11,500', drove home and caught a boat. Next morning, I was 70 miles out to sea and 150' under water on a magnificent razor back ridge full of invertebrate life.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
brob757
Topix Novice

Post by brob757 »

My wife, in some circumstances, was speechless. She truly enjoyed half dome. She read so much about it and saw so many pictures that she wanted to see it in person. The mirror lake trail left a lot to be desired, however. I was rather disappointed to see so much toilet paper etc next to the trail.

She was thrilled to watch the sun set over the Pacific ocean, happy to see Tenaya Lake, and since she is a penny machine junkie, she looked forward to every opportunity to collect new pennies from the penny machines.

She also got one heck of a kick out of watching the elephant seals argue, flop down on to of each other, and also how they scratched their chins just like a person. And, we both laughed and smiled watching the otters crack their pretty open on their bellies. It was quite a treat to watch a creature work so hard for a meal!

I also promised her we would see at least one bear. I knew that one of the Meadows would deliver sooner or later. So, We ran into a mother and two cubs sleeping behind an old fallen tree next to the Crescent Meadow trail. I've seen plenty of bears near my home, but never a mother with two cubs that was virtually oblivious to the presence of humans. It was a wonderful interaction to view the mother trying to sleep as the cubs pestered her. Finally, she climbed on top of the large fallen tree to sleep clear of her bothersome cubs. That didn't last long as one persistent cub finally managed to climb up and pounce at her once again disturbing her lazy day!

I can say this. I bought Keen Targhee 2 boots and they are without question the absolute most comfortable footwear I have yet to put on. They made 10 miles of trail on rocks and through mud feel like a stroll in the park! My wife was not so lucky with her Merell boots. Blisters galore!

I will be working on her for years to come about moving west. She doesn't like the fact that there is hardly any rain or greenery in the summer months but I will continue to work on her rest assured!