TR - Big Pine Canyon

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
shan1203
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR - Big Pine Canyon

Post by shan1203 »

Hi all,

My sweetie and I spent last weekend on the Sierra Eastside and had a great time snowshoeing in Big Pine Canyon. It was such a BEAUTIFUL day and, well, we were in the Sierras...what could be better?

Here's a trip report, video highlights style :)

Happy Hiking,
Shannon
Last edited by ERIC on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: embedded the YouTube video
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Re: TR - Big Pine Canyon

Post by DAVELA »

I was considering going there last week also.Nice tr.What were sno conditions like?Thanks.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shan1203
Topix Acquainted

Post by shan1203 »

The first mile or two were either snow free or super packed, so hiking boots alone were fine. Above that, the trail was still pretty packed, but we were breaking through and so snowshoed up for the rest of the way. We came across several parties and those in snowshoes looked happiest :)

Pretty icey in the morning, somewhat slushy in the afternoon. It got *really* warm up there, much nicer than we expected. Beautiful, beautiful day!

Happy Hiking,
Shannon
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thank you for sharing the video of your trip with us Shannon. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org