backcountry route for first-time snow camper

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
soygreen_82
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: backcountry route for first-time snow camper

Post by soygreen_82 »

I know this is old... but can anyone comment on here where to Snow camp AT THE CAR? Generally speaking I find it very hard to identify locations for this. My friend and I will be heading up Friday and are still slightly in the dark about where we will actually be pitching tent. We are good on gear, but for our first snow camping outting in well over a decade, we wanted to be within 100 yards of where we park. Thanks

~rich
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

It would be helpful to know where you are coming from. The LA Megaopolis? The Bay Area? Sacramento? If you could narrow down the area you're thinking of going, I think you might get a bit more help.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Soygreen: I've camped at Lodgepole campground in Sequoia National Park a couple times in the winter. I'm not sure how much snow is up there now as it's turning out not to be as good a winter as we were hoping. Anyway, the campground is plowed and you can walk in to the campsites that are right near the campground and set up camp. The last time I was there in the winter, the restrooms were open and nice and warm.

As Fly Guy said, It would be helpful to know what direction you are from and where you are headed.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

soygreen_82 wrote:I know this is old... but can anyone comment on here where to Snow camp AT THE CAR? Generally speaking I find it very hard to identify locations for this. My friend and I will be heading up Friday and are still slightly in the dark about where we will actually be pitching tent. We are good on gear, but for our first snow camping outting in well over a decade, we wanted to be within 100 yards of where we park. Thanks

~rich
Where are you coming from and where is it you're going to? Every place is different. Some good places not too far from Tahoe are Mt. Rose summit, Hope Valley, and Spooner Summit up to Marlette Lake.

Due south at Leavitt Meadow in Toiyabe/Hoover is good.

Nordic skiing across Silver Lake and camping on the island should be a lot of fun.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

I second the suggestion about Badger Pass to Dewey Point, and be sure to check the weather. It's the difference between life and death.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings bladeguy4543

Wandering Daisy summed things up perfectly.

Before I ever did any solo winter hiking in the Sierra Nevada, I went snow camping with highly experienced people. People who had climbed Denali and stuff. Also, if you would like to enjoy the snowy outdoors at altitude, you can get a good start by going to the library or Amazon or the local book store, and learning all you can from the guidance of someone who has experience and teaches this sort of thing.

Winter camping is interesting. And it's a prerequisite for high altitude climbing. It can open a whole new chapter for you in the book of the outdoors. I hope you get a chance to try it. I'm sure you'll have a...uhm...real cool time.

Don't go snow camping unless you have the right boots. My first winter snowshoe trip was in leather boots gooped up with Snow Seal. It was a real hassle to keep my feet warm. Good boots make things so much better! So what if you pay $400 for the right boots? To keep your toes, that's $40 per toe.

Also, read Wandering Daisy's comments again. Take her statement seriously.
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted

Post by Hillbasher »

Realize this is picking up an old thread but here are some thoughts.
Even better than Dewey is go all the way out to Glacier Point It is just a matter of following a road all the way, so navigating is down to a minimum, and the views once you get there are fantastic. One can spend the nights outside or indoors if room is available ahead of time. Another easy to follow route would be up to Mosquito Flats starting on the Rock Creek Road above Tom's Place. Once again, just a matter of navigating a road, but on this there are a few places one would want to be avalanche aware. All in all, a great trip with incredible scenery.
rs44
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rs44 »

Maybe the Castle Peak area? It's on the PCT and pretty close to car parking should something go wrong. There's a Sierra Club hut in the vicinity, too, and some easy peaks to tag if desired (Castle, Basin, Andesite). Biggest downside is that the hikes can all be done in a day, so camping might seem a bit superfluous.

Outside the Sierra, Mt. Shasta has some good snow camp sites. Horse camp is just a mile or so from the trailhead; 50/50 flats maybe another mile further. Could set up an attempt on Casaval (weather dependent, of course).
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

x3 on a short hike close to your car. Read up on avalanches before you go.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

You guize know this thread was four years old right?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.