Splitting Red Cone Bowl 3/12/16, South Lake Snow Shoe 3/11

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Beantown
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Splitting Red Cone Bowl 3/12/16, South Lake Snow Shoe 3/11

Post by Beantown »

I spent 3 nights at holiday camp off the 395 by Toms Place, with Mammoth receiving 3-4 feet of snow recently I expected snow camping, but Holiday was bone dry no snow.

Saturday friends and I set out for Red Cone Bowl on the mammoth crest. The area received a foot of fresh snow or so, somewhat protected bowl still had some wind effect and transported snow. After one person in the grouped kicked over some cornice bombs, we dropped in one by one and did 2 runs.

mammoth from red cone
red cone bowl
looking down the mammoth crest

Friday was not a back country split day due to high winds and a snow storm, I set out for a snow shoe to south lake with a friend. Snow just above the road closed sign. A snow storm rolled in and it was snowing up at the lake and very high winds, it was a great day. Lots of snow above 8k.

Camp Life
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Splitting Red Cone Bowl 3/12/16, South Lake Snow Shoe 3/

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks Beantown! Great photos and some beautiful conditions at Red Cones. Those pristine runs in your video make me want to get a split board. :thumbsup:

Was the road to South Lake closed at Bishop Lodge?
Beantown
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Beantown »

Bluewater wrote:Thanks Beantown! Great photos and some beautiful conditions at Red Cones. Those pristine runs in your video make me want to get a split board. :thumbsup:

The road to south lake has a sign posted "road closed", no gate, Just past the lodge. The road is clear past the sign and you can drive probably a 1/4 mile or so until there is snow and ice on the road. After that forget about driving any further.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Beantown wrote:
Bluewater wrote:Thanks Beantown! Great photos and some beautiful conditions at Red Cones. Those pristine runs in your video make me want to get a split board. :thumbsup:

The road to south lake has a sign posted "road closed", no gate, Just past the lodge. The road is clear past the sign and you can drive probably a 1/4 mile or so until there is snow and ice on the road. After that forget about driving any further.
Thanks for the update Beantown, much appreciated!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the info and pictures Beantown!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org