Ostrander Hut

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
brittanne99
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Ostrander Hut

Post by brittanne99 »

Hello, heading up to the Ostrander Hut this weekend! Anyone been doing any backcountry skiing in Yosemite the past couple of weeks? Trying to get a feel for what the snow conditions are going to be like up there!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ostrander Hut

Post by maverick »

Hi Brittanne99,

Welcome to HST! Write up a TR for us please when you get back, with lots of pictures. :nod:
This will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt21W1WjxqU
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I went up Snow Creek last weekend. There was snow but it was kind of a shock to see how high the snow line was and how fast it's melting. This part of the Sierra is at about 75% of normal but it was so hot last month that it probably skewed things a bit. The last few years have been that way, with lower elevations burning out faster. I was planning to do another trip out of Snow Creek in a couple of weeks but now I think not. There's only so much skiing over dirt or hiking with my skis/boots on my back that I can tolerate.

My guess is that you'll be okay next weekend, but I wouldn't wait longer.

Here are some long distance shots:

Starr King and Horse Ridge

Horizon Ridge?
Pulldownfrenzy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulldownfrenzy »

longri wrote: There's only so much skiing over dirt or hiking with my skis/boots on my back that I can tolerate.

My guess is that you'll be okay next weekend, but I wouldn't wait longer.

Here are some long distance shots:

Starr King and Horse Ridge

Horizon Ridge?
Longri

I hear you there for sure. I flew two years in a row from out of state - 2011 and 2012 to the Eastern Sierra and had abysmal luck. 2012 we were hoping for a winter climb/ski-descent of one of the super-steep coulours down to the Norman Clyde glacier (from Buttermilk Rd). We ended up bootpacking with our skis on our already 40lb packs the ENTIRE TRAIL up to Sam Mack meadow at like 12,500 feet or something and still light snow. What a disaster of a ski trip, but still fun to be outside. Here's a photo from where we camped beneath Temple Crag wondering how we had gotten ourselves into this...
8.cathedral tower side view_HST.jpg
:) -DD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Too bad you didn't (or couldn't?) check first. Tioga Pass didn't even close until mid-January 2012, which was pretty weird. Women were dancing on Tenaya Lake in bikinis in January. But that year still ended up with more snow than 2014 or '15. Last year was so dry and hot it was mind boggling.

This year is pretty good relative to those years. But it's still disappointing, especially after the El Niño hype, to end up with a below average snowfall and above average temperatures.

It's funny, I was talking to a roofer last year and he was telling me how they were so solidly booked that you couldn't even make an appointment, all because everyone figured El Niño was going to result in constant rain. I wish...