Conditions around Thousand Island During June?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Conditions around Thousand Island During June?

Post by KevinDo »

Hey Folks!

Hope all is going well.

Has anyone gone out to the Thousand Island Lake area during June? . I was planning on going this year via the high trail in mid-June. Was planning on staying 1 night at TI lake on the western side than going down past Garnet and over to Iceberg lake for the night. If conditions look good, than maybe try going over the use trail to cecile and eventually back to Agnew meadow.

Did some searching and found this thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12846&p=96304&hilit ... une#p96304

Conditions seem to be tame for nice trip? (in comparison to the last few months out in the high sierra! :retard: ](*,) By that I mean it doesn't seem like I'll need snow shoes or crampons :rock: Also will 25 degree bags work? I should I still bring out my 0 degree bag?

Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel
Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings
- Snow travel (including river crossings)

Thanks !
-Kevin

edited to revise question
Last edited by KevinDo on Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions around Thousand Island During June?

Post by paul »

Given that 2011 was way above average - almost double - and this year so far we are at 85% of average, you may want to rephrase your question a bit.
But typically, in June at 1000 island you''ll find some snow but not too much, plenty of skeeters; should be okay with the 25 degree bags I would think, and won't need crampons unless you want to go over the ridge at crack of dawn.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here you go Kevin 6/20 - 7/2/11 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9-UygPFtRA
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

paul wrote:Given that 2011 was way above average - almost double - and this year so far we are at 85% of average, you may want to rephrase your question a bit.
But typically, in June at 1000 island you''ll find some snow but not too much, plenty of skeeters; should be okay with the 25 degree bags I would think, and won't need crampons unless you want to go over the ridge at crack of dawn.
Good point! Was wondering just how bad it could be. A bit tired of snow camping for the year so it's nice to hear that there won't be too much snow!

Revised my question.

Thanks for the input!
-Kevin
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Are you staying on the High Route after Garnet Pass? Whitebark Pass and the traverse at Iceberg Lake, may require you to carry crampons and/or ice axe, depending on your comfort/experience on snow. If you time your climb and traverse after the snow has softened a bit, neither may be needed, the traverse gets hit by the sun in the afternoon, so time it accordingly.

The class 3 section from Cecile Lake to Minaret Lake can be avoided by using the route in the link, there are ducks and a faint use trail, but depending on the snow levels these may be covered and not be useful. HST Map

A 25F bag should be suffice, 0F is overkill, unless your a cold sleeper.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

maverick wrote:Are you staying on the High Route after Garnet Pass? Whitebark Pass and the traverse at Iceberg Lake, may require you to carry crampons and/or ice axe, depending on your comfort/experience on snow. If you time your climb and traverse after the snow has softened a bit, neither may be needed, the traverse gets hit by the sun in the afternoon, so time it accordingly.

The class 3 section from Cecile Lake to Minaret Lake can be avoided by using the route in the link, there are ducks and a faint use trail, but depending on the snow levels these may be covered and not be useful. HST Map

A 25F bag should be suffice, 0F is overkill, unless your a cold sleeper.
Hey Maverick,

Thanks for the input! Since the significant other doesn't like dicey things (yet she likes to climb #-o ) I will most likely opt for going over garnet pass (island pass?) and staying along Garnet lake and reconnecting with the JMT/Shadow Creek area. Would have loved to check out Nydiver Lake but don't think it will be possible this time around.

Regarding the Cecile/Minaret/Iceberg lake area, is there any lake you would recommend for a campsite? From my searches here, it seems most people liked iceberg better? While Cecile was pretty, it seems like it would be the more crowded area. Trying to stay away from crowds here.

I generally go XC at yosemite but as I am taking a few folks with me, I'm trying to be a little bit less adventurous :\ .

Thanks for all the help guys!
Kevin
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Near the northern end of Iceberg is sublime, campsites at Cecile are :thumbsdown: .

PS By the way, our HST Meet-ups are a lot of fun, you have to attended one to make up your own mind, and not base it on someone who has never attended one. :nod:

KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

maverick wrote:Near the northern end of Iceberg is sublime, campsites at Cecile are :thumbsdown: .

PS By the way, our HST Meet-ups are a lot of fun, you have to attended one to make up your own mind, and not base it on someone who has never attended one. :nod:
Perfect! Makes Day 2 a little bit shorter. I was thinking of making a tad bit shorter by bushwhacking over the saddle south of garnet instead of reconnecting with the JMT. If the terrain's nice, I might be able to shave off 2 miles ish.

Here's my idea (the hashed trail is the JMT)

Hmm..I will definitely reconsider. Its 7/28 correct? Gotta figure out how I'll make my way out there. Maybe a multi day trip from Nelson...
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

With the exception of going to Cecile and Minaret Lake I did your route back in the first few days of June in 2014. It was a fairly dry winter we had had preceding it. That is definitely not the case this year as previously mentioned. But... I would caution Iceberg to Cecile. That is a fairly steep slope and I wouldn't care to do it unless I had at least an ice axe and depending on conditions some microspikes. A fall on that slope sends you directly into the lake. At the beginning of June of that year there was a solid amount of snow and a bit of ice above Lake Ediza (which was extremely spectacular). A couple weeks later is better this year but then again given we have a lot more snow it might be very similar conditions. Iceberg lake when I went was still completely frozen over. You're likely to see plenty of icebergs and run into at least some snow.

My mentality.. If in doubt I always bring the ice axe. I'll be bringing one this year for early July because I plan to climb peaks. The safety that comes with one is a serious peace of mind for me. Of course...that is given you know how to properly use one to self arrest.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

Hey Mike,

Appreciate the input! How was the snow cover along most of the trail in 2014? I will most likely NOT do the last portion from ICeberg to Cecile to Agnew. Did you exit from iceberg using the JMT or river trail?

Now I can't decide if I want to stay at Ediza or Iceberg ](*,)