Advice - Peeler Lake via Kerrick Meadow Late June

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
uscscott
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Advice - Peeler Lake via Kerrick Meadow Late June

Post by uscscott »

Hello,

I was looking for some advice. I'm planning on taking my nephew backpacking in late June and was looking at the Sierra North trip 81 which is Peeler Lake via Kerrick Meadow semi-loop where we route from Twin Lakes to Crown Lake (spend a night) through Kerrick Meadow to Peeler Lake (spend a night) and back in 2 nights.

We were also thinking about summiting Crown Point if doable. My concerns are with the timing. Will we have snow issues in late June and if not snow issues, will we be swarmed by a made pack of mosquitos all the way through the trip? Is this trip recommended, any better two night loop or semi-loop options for late June that are more recommended?

Details on us below:

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings (nothing too difficult)

What is your main interest?
- Lakes
- Big Mountain scenery

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?
3 days/2 nights

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?
8 miles max, no layover

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)?
loop or semi-loop.

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in (Yosemite, SEKI western sierra start or eastern start ect.)?
Within 4+/- hours of East Bay. Eastern or Western Sierra. Anything north of Yosemite.

Will you be hiking with a dog?
No

Any advice is greatly appreciated! My nephew went on his first trip with me last year to Lyons Lake and loved it. He's from Florida so mountain scenery is a new concept. I have a couple of overnight trips under my belt and looking to continue to step it up on each subsequent trip.

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice - Peeler Lake via Kerrick Meadow Late June

Post by maverick »

We were also thinking about summiting Crown Point if doable. My concerns are with the timing. Will we have snow issues in late June and if not snow issues, will we be swarmed by a made pack of mosquitos all the way through the trip? Is this trip recommended, any better two night loop or semi-loop options for late June that are more recommended?
Getting to the trailhead at Twin Lakes (Robinson Creek) is going to take much longer then 4 hrs, more like 5.5 hrs.

The easiest route up Crown Point is from Rock Island Pass, the only difficulty on this route is some large talus near the summit. Crown Point has great views of Tower Peak, Sawtooth Ridge, Kerrick Meadows, and of Peeler Lake.

Skeeterz will most likely be an issue, check the mosquito reports here on HST for update to that area.

Green Lake or the Virginia Lakes area, south of Twin Lakes, are quite pretty too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
uscscott
Topix Novice

Post by uscscott »

Thanks Maverick.

When I googled the distance is showed it being about 5 hours to Bridgeport. I figured I was stretching my desired max driving distance.

Sounds like Green Lake or Virginia Lake will take me further out and extend the drive time.

The plan was to do an early wake up and head to the trailhead rather than camping out the night prior as we are stretched for time. Do you think I'm better off heading to Desolation and spending two nights hiking around there?

I really enjoy the solitude, I'm expecting not to get too much of that in Desolation (quite ironic).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Do you think I'm better off heading to Desolation and spending two nights hiking around there?
If your that stretched on time then go for something in Desolation or Emigrant.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
uscscott
Topix Novice

Post by uscscott »

maverick wrote:
Do you think I'm better off heading to Desolation and spending two nights hiking around there?
If your that stretched on time then go for something in Desolation or Emigrant.
Any recommendations for Desolation or Emigrant for two nights that would be a must go for big scenery and lakes at either location? I've done Lyons, Boulder and Bear lake so far.

Can't shuttle so it would need to be a loop or out and back. Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Emigrant:
- Leavitt Meadow>Roosevelt/Lake Lakes
- Crabtree>Chain Lakes or Bear Lake
- Gianelli Cabin> Chuming Gum Lake/Deer Lake

Both Crabtree and Gianelli have access to several lakes, it all depends on your mileage.

Desolation:
- Wrights Lake>Twin/Island Lake
- Fallen Leaf Lake/Glen Alpine>Heather Lake/Half Moon Lake (several lakes in the area)
- Eagle Falls>Velma Lakes

Check "Conditions Reports" here on HST and at: http://desowv.org/trail-conditions