Missing Hiker and Dog near Donner Pass

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Missing Hiker and Dog near Donner Pass

Post by maverick »

I know it's a long shot, but here's a 360 panorama I shot on my last trip in 2014.
Anything could help, thank you. One of the moderators on the Rock Creek message board lives in the area, she was planning to go to the area this weekend, maybe she will have something to post later on. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishwrong
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by fishwrong »

Thank you for the panorama video. Looks like it could be close to the same location. I didn't notice flowing water in the video, but sounds like it in the audio. Could be the stove, not sure.

Please send the panorama to Placer County, and it may be of help.

Thank you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I didn't notice flowing water in the video, but sounds like it in the audio. Could be the stove, not sure.
Expand the view and concentrate on the water water section only at .29, there is a very slight movement in it.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Brien »

Cody has been found with his dog alive.

FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

maverick wrote:If anyone has any pictures/videos taken during early season of the Loch Leven Lakes area, they could be very useful in narrowing down the possible location this video clip may have been taken.
Your help is appreciated! Thank you
April 14, 2014 day scouting trip. I turned around and headed back before reaching the lakes (probably around 6,500'): https://goo.gl/photos/i8iioZYkBFaDLu4n6

***Edit*** Sorry, I posted this before reaching the end of the thread and the GREAT news!
Last edited by FeetFirst on Thu May 19, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

That's good news, looking forward to hearing his account.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

zacjust32 wrote:That's good news
+1
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That's good news
:nod:

PS Thank you very much for posting that link to your photos of the area FeetFirst. :thumbsup:

RaiderFanMan
Topix Novice

Post by RaiderFanMan »

California National Guard is flying Wed and Thurs using Forward Looking Infared technology (FLIR) to assist with the search. CA National Guard is very experienced with SAR missions and has assisted with a number of SAR missions. Let's hope they spot him so the folks on the ground can get to him and his dog.
RaiderFanMan
Topix Novice

Post by RaiderFanMan »

Good news on finding him and his dog.