E-mail when a post is replied to?

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

E-mail when a post is replied to?

Post by BSquared »

I could have sworn I used to get an e-mail every time a thread to which I had posted got a new post. But it's definitely not happening now (been away from the board for some months), and I don't see any settings on my User Control Panel that would affect it one way or the other. Was I dreaming? :eek:
—B²
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: E-mail when a post is replied to?

Post by gary c. »

You are right it was definately there. Been gone a little while though. I don't know why.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12945 for the reasoning.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Subscription email settings are located in User Control Panel --> Board Preferences --> Edit post notification options - you must be subscribed to a thread to receive those emails. Also check User Control Panel --> Board Preferences --> Edit Posting Defaults --> Notify me upon replies by default. Settings may have been reset during a server migration (has happened in the past) so if they look good and you still don't receive emails let us know.
rlown wrote:see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12945 for the reasoning.
Notifications discussed in that thread are independent of email subscription settings.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I have a quick question. Where is the "subscribe" button on either thread or topic? I know there was a button at the bottom in the past, but it's not there anymore. My email settings are per your instructions.

I do get PM notifications; nothing else.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

During the server migration the board watch option somehow got stuck wide open and all members began getting notified of every new post to every forum. I had to turn everything off to reset it. Think the problem is fixed now, so the feature is again enabled. You can subscribe to threads or entire forums by clicking on the link near the bottom left of each page (newly registered members are somewhat restricted until they post a couple of times and full feature options are enabled).
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

fixed. Just got an email after another's post. Thank you.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Something's still messed up, unwanted notifications still going out. Had to disable the feature again. Sorry.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Sorry if I opened a Pandora's Box here, Eric! :o I'll sit tight until you say it's working again...
—B²
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

No sir, you didn't! Something I needed to fix but fell off my radar. I went under the database hood early this afternoon and think (again?) that I have the problem solved. I've re-activated the subscribe feature and am closely monitoring to see if anyone is still getting unwanted emails. Please let me know if you do.