what's the best way to clean titanium camping gears?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
kigura
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

what's the best way to clean titanium camping gears?

Post by kigura »

Hello everyone,

Just got myself a titanium pan from HPro and some titanium folding sporks from timberbrother on amazon for my next camping plan, my wonder is: what’s the best way cleaning titanium camping cookware? Anybody have experience or know how on maintaining titanium cookware or other titanium gear?

Many thanks!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: what's the best way to clean titanium camping gears?

Post by fishmonger »

I put my stuff in the dishwasher at home. Works fine. Up in the mountains I use hot water and my fingers to clean what I can. If really bad, add gravel and a drop of camp soap and clean it out, but you really just want to avoid getting anything stuck on to begin with. Titanium most certainly is not non-stick cookware.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

If it isn't nonstick (I don't get that kind) I wash it. 99% of the time all I ever do is boil water, so no real cleanup needed. With titanium it's terribly easy to scorch things in the pot. If real scrubbing is needed I've used sand and lots of water.

With nonstick you're probably best using one of those non abrasive scrubbies on it, if anything gets stuck.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Before using sand which is very abrasive and can damage a coating that is on my titanium pots, try hot water and a pine cone for a scrubber. This usually gets mildly burned food off. When you dump dry food in boiling water, you have to stir it immediately and keep it at a simmer, not a hard boil. Turning the pot and stirring will avoid burning food. Snow, if available, also does a good job of scrubbing, although because cold, will not de-grease the pan. I use a few squares of toilet paper to wipe out the remaining grease.
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by justm »

Bar Keepers Friend, great for stainless steel, porcelain,and Titanium