SEKI Lyft?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

SEKI Lyft?

Post by fourputt »

Kaweah Commonwealth Incidents At Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks: June 6-19:

Mineral King

June 19 -- Rangers and Helicopter-552 responded to the Cliff Creek/Timber Creek junction off the Timber Gap Trail for a SPOT device "SOS" call. Rescuers found the two hikers who activated the device. They were unable to cross Cliff Creek due to high water, so they activated the SOS button to get assistance. A law enforcement investigation is being conducted into the appropriateness of the activation.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SEKI Lyft?

Post by AlmostThere »

Investigation? I hope the rescuers laughed and left. I know they didn't, it's not professional, but those hikers totally deserve a Bozo Button. SOS is after all not "we're standing here safe and sound waiting for you to build a bridge."
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

They were unable to cross Cliff Creek due to high water, so they activated the SOS button to get assistance.
Totally ridiculous and abuse of the emergency responders and system, really hope they are required to pay for everything!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I hope -- and I am not alone in SAR personnel -- that we NEVER charge for SAR. Ever. We would see a lot more fatalities that way.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

hope -- and I am not alone in SAR personnel -- that we NEVER charge for SAR.
Yes, totally agree that there should not charge for SAR services AT, should have written that they should be fined and not that they should be made to pay for everything, they should be penalized for abusing of the system, which is why LE is conducting an investigation.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Just unbelievable.

You also have to wonder what their direction of travel was, as in - just turn around and hike back to MK or the way you came in. Seems this is happening at a more frequent basis, for example:

High Sierra
June 5— A group of three became separated on the Pacific Crest Trail on the south side of Forester Pass while searching for the trail. A 22-year-old female became separated from her party while the group was trying to hike up Forester Pass. After the other part of her party pressed the “SOS” button on their satellite devices, the park initiated an investigation. The subjects reunited prior to the park starting search operations.

I noticed the GEOS website does not post the flagrant misuse of SPOT/InReach devices. Sort of a self promotion of some good while not learning or educating from the bad. Shame on them.

Personally I'd vote for a flat fee for misuse of the devices (park fees / violation fees aside). Perhaps a flat fee would begin to correct some of the problems so the good folks with the park device can focus on helping those people that actually need it.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I think the parks and counties should fine the companies manufacturing the devices. Like, BIG TIME. Force them to disclaim and instruct and put more effort into getting people to understand what they are really for, instead of just handing them out like candy.

The notice goes out to SPOT and In Reach, and then every single device will come with a waiver in nice clear fonts, large type, that must be signed before the device can be activated -- it will be crystal clear, with all the power of a fleet of highly paid attorneys behind it, that it is to be used only in a real emergency, and that the company will happily pass the cost along to the stupid idiot who dares to do otherwise, thus notifying each and every person that they will have to pay the dumb tax for being dumb.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I disagree, AT. Fine the user. Much like the active cell phone usage in a car. Wish they'd crack down on that more. I'm using my horn aLOT more to wake up the idiots in front of me.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Not going to be nearly so preventative fining users... Prevention is king, in my book. Unless they fine $15000, they aren't even going to come close on reimbursing anyone - if there is a helicopter involved, just have them hand over a pink slip for every vehicle they own and the deed to the house, and you might come close.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

You don't have to fine everyone, just the idiots. Or, they could add a two step process as in "are you sure you want to press this buttion? (Y/N)", and then another that says "we'll fine you if you press this and you're an idiot not in need of actual rescue. Still wanna press (Y/N?)"

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... cators4573

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/2015-4 ... ing-device