Which tent to take?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
ltm01
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Which tent to take?

Post by ltm01 »

Hi All,
I'll be hiking in the Hamilton Lake and Little Five Lakes area for just over a week in mid August. My first trip to the region.

I am wondering about what tent to take. I have a Macpac Microlight 1.7kg and a Tarptent Notch 800g. I generally use the Macpac if there is a good chance of storms and heavy rain otherwise I prefer the much lighter Notch.

I know the weather is not predictable at those altitudes, however, what tent would you set out with given the time of year and the area?

Thank you.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Which tent to take?

Post by AlmostThere »

I take the lightest tent available regardless of whether there are storms or not. Tarptents are fully capable of withstanding whatever happens out there -- ours have been through storms before and nothing dire happened, everyone warm and dry. Hundreds of thru hikers use them for two thousand miles (Henry designed his very first tarptent for his PCT hike and that's how his business started) and so I'm not even sure why this perception that the heavier tent makes sense at all....
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

This one: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabela-s ... lsrc=aw.ds

Can be 107lbs to 70lbs. The stove is extra weight. That's 2 mules right there. :)
But to AT's point, go light, but know your tent.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Your Tarptent will be just fine.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ltm01
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by ltm01 »

Much appreciated, thanks all.