The Milky Way Over The Sierra Thread

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: The Milky Way Over The Sierra Thread

Post by The Other Tom »

Really nice shot. Looks like the trailpix is stable. I assume you used 3 poles ? Two hiking poles + ?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

three hiking poles. I wasn't alone. I did buy a third-party ballhead that is slightly stronger than the big one they offer. Same brand as their little one. My camera with lens is quite heavy, as I also carry the battery grip and it has a big old RRS plate on it. So my ballhead with Arca clamp mount is more weight than the trailpix plate itself, but all combined still 2 pounds less than the carbon tripod.

As for usability - it's a hassle to set up compared to a dedicated tripod. Also, anything but full pole elevation means you need to mess around with the poles, which even with the flip lock poles is somewhat of a pain, as your setup will collapse the moment you mess with the first leg. It is totally usable if you take the time, but if you want to quickly get a shot of a stream with ND1000 filter while your hiking partner is standing their rolling his eyes ("another freaking waterfall shot?"), you just go try to find a rock to put the camera on and leave the trailpix plate pack. I only used the plate at night, everything else I shot without it. When I carried the full tripod, I used it during the day, too, as it only took 30 seconds to get off the pack and set up.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

fishmonger wrote:three hiking poles. I wasn't alone. I did buy a third-party ballhead that is slightly stronger than the big one they offer. Same brand as their little one. My camera with lens is quite heavy, as I also carry the battery grip and it has a big old RRS plate on it. So my ballhead with Arca clamp mount is more weight than the trailpix plate itself, but all combined still 2 pounds less than the carbon tripod.

As for usability - it's a hassle to set up compared to a dedicated tripod. Also, anything but full pole elevation means you need to mess around with the poles, which even with the flip lock poles is somewhat of a pain, as your setup will collapse the moment you mess with the first leg. It is totally usable if you take the time, but if you want to quickly get a shot of a stream with ND1000 filter while your hiking partner is standing their rolling his eyes ("another freaking waterfall shot?"), you just go try to find a rock to put the camera on and leave the trailpix plate pack. I only used the plate at night, everything else I shot without it. When I carried the full tripod, I used it during the day, too, as it only took 30 seconds to get off the pack and set up.
Thanks for the follow up
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

And something that could also go into the camp photo thread

Spirits in the Sierra night
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

and a quick photo of the Trailpix setup I used, here with the larger ball head and Swiss Arca clamp on three of our hiking poles

Trailpix tripod rig
pakoR
Topix Acquainted

Post by pakoR »

Here are a few shots I took this past July while backpacking Section 1 of the SHR.

Celebrating the 4th of July on Windy Ridge with the Milky Way

The Milky Way and star trails from Upper Basin, the headwaters of the South Fork of the Kings River
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Not off in the mountains, and this photo is a bit old, but thought we could use some more Milky Way posts. This was shot on the road going around Tenaya Lake. I always wanted to get a shot of the Milky Way 'floating' above a long straight away, and it ended up working out rather well for this shot. I used a fill light at 100% power to illuminate the road. I did it by just flashing it on the road as quickly as I could.

Fun little back story. I bought the Rokinon 14mm. It came in around 7pm and I immediately left for Yosemite. Got up to the high country around 10:30ish I think, and shot until about 2:30 in the morning. At one point by the lake I heard a noise along the shoreline, turned my headlamp on and just saw two eyes staring back at me, probably 20ft away. Almost pissed myself. Ended up being a deer, but geez.

fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

July 16, 2017 near Duck Lake

Aligned with the universe
BayHiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BayHiker »

September 20, 2016, just off Tioga Road near the Cathedral Lakes trailhead (I had just hiked out after sunset at the lakes):

tomg
Topix Newbie

Post by tomg »

My first attempt at a Sierra Panorama Milky Way shot

Hwy 108 west of Cold Springs early Saturday AM.

Able to capture Jupiter, Saturn and Mars

I think skyglow in the bottom right comes from Merced.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk