gonna allow .wav files?

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

gonna allow .wav files?

Post by rlown »

just a question. Just noticed they cant be uploaded today.

Russ
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: gonna allow .wav files?

Post by ERIC »

Just a software default setting never touched. I added the extension as acceptable. Please try it out and let me know if it doesn't work.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

it uploaded, but it doesn't appear like I thought it would. check out the campfire on coyote vs. wolf thread.. just a test..

It does work though.. thanks.
Last edited by rlown on Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

How did you expect it to appear?
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

a good question. didn't know what to expect. I'm good with it. thanks again.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Ideally I'd like all photos to load in AJAX and video and audio to be embedded with a player within the thread. Makes the viewing/interaction experience more seamless, which is what we should strive for. Perhaps that what you were expecting? I've recently noticed (from a video someone posted) that Vimeo has server side set up so any Vimeo link you add to a post automatically embeds as a player. Wish Youtube did that. There are some mods that allow for embedding of audio content but our forum version is outdated and I'm always keeping an eye on development for future versions of the forum software and so far none of those available continued development through versions. The alternative is a BBCode audio player embed of attachments but that's obviously not as clean of a solution. There's also the issue of security when it comes to various types of attachments. I need to research what vulnerabilities there may be in allowing embedding of audio before implementing a solution like that.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you're doing fine. no worries. no mods.. keep it simple. :thumbsup:
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Thanks. But I will keep it on the list of wants because it's a good request. There are some other backpacking forums using similar software out there (NW Hikers - trip reports - and Whiteblaze - personal galleries - to name two examples) that I do track that are finding ways to make some of these things happen (albeit they cater to a wider audience and thus have more resources at their disposal). Continuing to sock away all proceeds from ads and donations to hire out some help to get a large number of these things done since copeg and I currently find ourselves buried with work and kids hanging from our ceilings. ;) Want to do it all at once so working towards a budged of $2k-$4k hoping that's enough to get some major things done, and done right, in the next revamp.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

kids hanging from ceilings? :D I used to climb up on the roof and jump off just to see what 9' felt like or climb a 50' blue spruce.. hanging from the ceiling, no. hmm.