Trek options from the East, last week in September

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Robmannn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Trek options from the East, last week in September

Post by Robmannn »

Hi All,

5 zonies are heading out early for or yearly 7 day and 6 nights in the Sierras. Maybe from Phoenix we can get to an East side trail head and on the trail to hike a little and camp to acclimatize on the drive day. Looks like 9-10 hours of driving.

All of us have backpacked a lot and 4 have been to the Sierras 1 up to 3 times on treks. We are under 35 lbs. BP weight at the start.

We are all solid Level 2 with some x-country and hope to do more.

I think Class 2 would fit us. 2 of us are 65, 1 is 55, 1 is 28, 1 is 21. So the geezers may want to chill while the youts explore side trips. Hey someone has to guard our stuff.

Oh, we love those lakes, forests and big mountain vistas. 35-50 miles depending on elevation change is good. Loop, lollipop, shuttle is OK. Maybe an out and back. We only get to do this once a year.

I've been looking at TR's. Two I fancy: 1) Horseshoe Meadow to Cottonwood Pass, Soldier Lake, Miter Basin, New Army Pass, Golden Trout. Horseshoe Meadow. 2) North Lake, Paiute, Evolution Canyon, Darwin Bench, Lamarck Col, North Lake (clockwise or Counterclockwise ?).

All the BP I've done and I've never done a TR. I'm determined to do one this trip and spread the word. You folks have inspired me.

Wah hoo and Thanks,

Rob
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trek options from the East, last week in September

Post by maverick »

North Lake>Humphreys Basin>Evo Valley>Darwin Bench>Lamarck Col>North Lake would be a fabulous trip, Aspen Meadow might be looking quite good by your trip. Expect cooler and shorter days (sunrise/sunset around 7 am & pm). Keep an eye on the forecast, be ready for anything (food, clothing, and shelter).

You could also do a variation of the South Lake to North Lake exiting via Lamarck Col: South Lake>Bishop Pass>Dusy Basin>LeConte Canyon>Evo Basin>Darwin Bench>Lamarck Col>North Lake, this would require a ride back to South Lake, but well worth it. You could also do the whole North Lake to South Lake trip: Piute Pass>Evo Valley>LeConte Canyon>Dusy Basin>Bishop Pass>South Lake about 57 miles, this would also require ride back to South lake
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Robmannn
Topix Novice

Post by Robmannn »

Thanks Maverick,
There's a lot of options from North Lake. That was my first choice after reading TR's. I assume there's trail head parking, need to figure out trail reservations and where to shower and eat after getting off the trail. Cooler and shorter days, thanks for the reminder. Our blood is pretty thin from the Phoenix summer. Be Prepared.
Robmannn
Topix Novice

Post by Robmannn »

I found where to park at the trail head (near north lake) and trail passes are available to reserve. If we reserve for say Sept 3 how long do they hold those passes?

I don't think we will get there before 2 PM. The other times we hiked from the west side we picked up the reserved passes early, when they opened and got on the trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Robmannn wrote:
If we reserve for say Sept 3 how long do they hold those passes?

Inyo NF:
Reservation will be CANCELED as a no-show if you do not confirm or pick up the permit before 10 am on the entry date.
No-show space will be given to other groups, and space may not be available if you arrive late. Confirm your group size to hold your reservation until close of business on entry date.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pass ... 6#reserved
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Robmannn
Topix Novice

Post by Robmannn »

Thanks Maverick,

I ended up calling them and they talked me through it. They said they have been having problems with the online reservations.
Also, if you confirm online 14 days or later before your trip they will hold your pass all day. That's also in your link. Thanks again.