2016 Fall Colors aka 'leaf peeping' timing

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
eoconnor101
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

2016 Fall Colors aka 'leaf peeping' timing

Post by eoconnor101 »

Hi There,

I always go backpacking mid-late season but before the colors change....this year I was planning a 'glamping' trip with the wife, likely one of the cabin resorts up the 168 east of Bishop. I've never really been up there in the shoulder season, either backpacking or snow season sometimes spring fishing so I could use some advice. What is the likely time of the fall colors this being a 'normal' year? I would have guessed around sept 25-Oct 15 or so to be a safe bet? But I would love if anyone with experience might be able to provide some guidance. Was planning on maybe some roadside photography as well as maybe a day hike to Tyee Lakes and another to Treasure Lakes.

Cheers,
Eric
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2016 Fall Colors aka 'leaf peeping' timing

Post by maverick »

Hi Eric,

To time it right you need to keep an eye on anyone of the sites listed here and when conditions area ideal, go: https://naturalhistorywanderings.com/fa ... locations/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
s0rce
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2016 Fall Colors aka 'leaf peeping' timing

Post by s0rce »

Do you mean west of Bishop, highway 168 goes east from Big Pine and I don't seem to recall any resorts/cabins out that way and I went over Westgard pass?