Santa Rosa woman, 66, rescued from Pacific Crest Trail

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Santa Rosa woman, 66, rescued from Pacific Crest Trail

Post by rlown »

A Santa Rosa woman was rescued Sunday while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in Fresno County.

Tara Steele, 66, was hiking just east of Brave Lake when she started exhibiting symptoms of a stroke, according to a news release from the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office.

Steele activated a personal locator beacon, which sent out a frequency broadcasting her coordinates, and near dusk, a CHP helicopter responded.

Steele was found in a heavily forested area, the release said. A hoist was lowered down, and she was airlifted to Edison Lake for a helicopter transfer before being flown to Fresno’s Commuity Regional Medical Center.

A dramatic video by the CHP shows the rescue.

“Are you able to sit up?” The rescuer asks.

“Yes but I list,” she says. “I tip over...my balance is really screwy”

At least six other hikers helped as the CHP rescuer strapped her to a stretcher and then placed her in the hoist, lifting her up to the helicopter through a small break in the trees.

Check back later for updates.

You can reach Staff Writer Christi Warren at 521-5205 or christi.warren@pressdemocrat.com. On Twitter @SeaWarren.
source: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/59883 ... artslide=0