Mission Peak Meet-up 12/18

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mission Peak Meet-up 12/18

Post by maverick »

This will be done via the Stanford Trailhead, we will be starting at 10 am come rain or shine, unless we get a Cat 3 storm come in, but the long-term forecast calls for Sunday to be okay. We will be going via Horse Heaven route, steeper and much less crowded than the main trail.
This is about a 3-4 hour hike depending on speed, some parts are quite steep, and it has great views from the summit. :nod:

Driving directions:

• From Interstate 680 in the Warm Springs District of Alameda County, exit Mission Boulevard (exit 12). Drive northeast on Mission Boulevard to Stanford Avenue, and turn right. Drive about 0.5 miles to the trailhead at the end of the street.

• From Interstate 880 in Alameda County, exit Warren/Mission Boulevard (exit 12). Drive northeast on Mission Boulevard, pass under 680 and turn right on Stanford Avenue. Drive about 0.5 miles to the trailhead at the end of the street. (Note: if you quake in fear at the thought of driving on 880, and are traveling from the peninsula, you can take a slower, prettier, less stressful drive. Drive east across the bay on the Dumbarton Bridge, which becomes Decoto. About 4 miles from the Dumbarton Bridge toll plaza, turn right onto Paseo Padre Parkway. Drive south a few miles, to the junction with Mission Boulevard. Turn left, and make the first right onto Stanford Avenue.)

Chime in on this thread if you make it. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Mission Peak Meet-up 12/18

Post by Shhsgirl »

Sorry I can't make it, due to my second career as a Sunday school teacher.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Was hoping that you may have that Sunday off, Jim's in town from LA, so it would have been cool to do a hike together.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

My recovery is coming along nicely and I've started on a few short 1-2 hr hikes but it's probably too early for me to try this one. Maybe another time.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Mav, Parking is a real problem at the Stanford Ave. location on Sunday's with the new restrictions. Perhaps it would be better to go up the back side from Ohlone. I should be able to join either way.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hopefully the next one Rocky. :)

Stanford Trailhead is a hassle parking wise, but if one allows plenty of time to look for parking along the side streets, plus add in that at 10 am we will beat Sundays mid-day crowds, we should be alright. Did not want to add on any extra driving for Jim, which is why this trailhead was chosen, plus he and Lisa are already familiar with this location. :)
Perhaps it would be better to go up the back side from Ohlone.
Rose Peak is one on the radar for early next year, as is Diablo, Purisima Creek, and Berry Berry Creek (Big Basin) in the Spring. ;)

robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Unfortunately, ( or fortunately!) I will be on a cruise.. I think Cabo San Lucas that day.
I need to go on some of these things with my wife in order to earn my outdoor days off!
But thanks for invite.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Nice Robert! Starting from SD or LA?

peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

alright I'm in!
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

alright I'm in!
:) \:D/