Mineral King Loop day one camp

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
mattzigg
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Mineral King Loop day one camp

Post by mattzigg »

Need some advice. This summer I'm planning a five day trip starting at Mineral King, looping around and ending back at MK. Ive picked nights 2-4 which are Hamilton Lake-Little Five Lakes-Columbine Lake and then back to the car over Sawtooth. I'm having a hard time deciding on my first nights camp. Is Redwood Meadow Grove a viable campsite? Or should I just plan on Cliff Creek? All the way to Bear Paw Meadow is a bit of a stretch for day one. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mineral King Loop day one camp

Post by Cross Country »

Obviouslay you're going to do what you want but----. Your trip done in reverse is WAY better. First day, Monarch Lake. Second day,over sawtooth pass and camp below the big lake. The camp sights on the lake are inferior to the ones on the creek below. Third day to the ranger station lake. Fourth day, day hike long lake. Fourth day you can hike out if you want, over the cross country route to Monarch Lake and out.
mattzigg
Topix Novice

Post by mattzigg »

Thank you for your response! However I'm looking to visit Bear Paw Meadow, Hamilton Lake, and Precipice Lake. Then come into the Big Arroyo. And I'm not sure I want to ascend Sawtooth Pass. Coming down it was hard enough!! I guess what I'm asking is, is "Redwood Meadow Grove" a place to camp? I only see a ranger station on the map. It doesn't indicate a Bear box (I have a bear vault) or camping area.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I didn't pay enough attention to where you were going. Redwood meadow is a worthwhile stop. I stayed there one night while on a trip to the lake under eagle scout lake.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Eagle Scout peak
mattzigg
Topix Novice

Post by mattzigg »

Perfect. That's what I was hoping. Thanks for the quick response!!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

It doesn't indicate a Bear box (I have a bear vault) or camping area.

You have bear boxes at Cliff Creek/Timber Gap Trail Junction, then at Pinto Lake, and after that at Bearpaw Meadow. There are campsites at the trail fork, at the northwestern part of the Redwood Meadow, and yes it is worth visiting.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mattzigg
Topix Novice

Post by mattzigg »

That'a good news. Thank you maverick!
Buford
Topix Acquainted

Post by Buford »

I did that loop a couple years ago. Redwood Meadow might not have water later in the summer depending on snow pack. At least that was what I remember.