Campfire Permit 2017, Get 'em while they're hot!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Campfire Permit 2017, Get 'em while they're hot!

Post by robow8 »

Don't forget your campfire permit.

http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit//
Last edited by robow8 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Campfire Permit 2017

Post by balzaccom »

Thanks for reminding me!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Campfire Permit 2017, Get 'em while they're hot!

Post by gary c. »

I was in Lone Pine on Thursday and stopped to P/U a fire permit. The guy told me he wouldn't give me one for 2017. Said he could only issue one for 2016 but I didn't think I would be needing one in the next 48hrs.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
powderhound
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by powderhound »

Thanks for the reminder! I just got mine.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

The video at the link above reminds me that the effort involved in properly tending a campfire is one reason why I almost never bother. I wonder how many people actually complete the drown, stir and feel procedure before going to bed? Especially the feel part.

Most people I've car camped with at federal/state campgrounds where there is an existing fire ring, just let the fire burn down before going to bed. In the morning they are likely to restart the fire and they don't want to begin again on top of a huge wet spot, or they don't want the next camper to have to deal with a wet fire ring. I've also wondered that if dirt is shoveled onto the wet & stirred embers to help extinguish the fire, won't the fire ring get full of ash and dirt within a week or two of use and the campsite start to look like an excavation site with all the digging?

Maybe I am wrong in thinking that even at campgrounds with constructed fire rings that the full fire safety procedures must still be applied?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I agree that all fires need to be totally put out, with water. Mainly because of wind, which can re-ignite coals and send them flying.

In the early 1970's, late fall, really dry, I put out my campfire and went climbing. Luckily some people stayed back in camp. The wind really whipped up and my fire was re-ignited, even after putting water on it. A spark caught some duff on fire. Now with every campfire I actually douse it and run my hands through the coals to be sure all are out. Yes it makes a mess, but I just wash off. I would say the only time this is not as critical is in weather just like we are having now. Rain! Not sure I could even get a fire started.

Just curious - is smoking illegal in the wilderness? Or when there is a fire ban?