I blame Snowy

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Randonnee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

I blame Snowy

Post by Randonnee »

I was at June Mtn. for the opening this past weekend and there were enough rocks showing that I chose not to damage my skis.

Snow Nymph has been telling me I should try boarding so I took the beginners package (board rental, 2 hr lesson, and lift ticket.) By the end of the lesson I managed to get down the beginners run make a J turn at the bottom and remain standing! I also managed to make it down using the falling leaf technique. After the experience I think I perfer 2 boards under my feet, but I may have another go at the snowboard.

The instructor was telling me that the first time on skis is easier than the first time on a board. After that it takes years to develop style and comfort on skis while once youget past the beginning stage on the board there is not much more to it.

It was a beautiful weekend to be out. I only needed a wind shell over a very light base layer to stay warm, and actually that was too warm for the effort I was putting out trying to stay up on the board :D

Overall it was a fun weekend. I just wish we would get more snow ;)
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

:D Cool, Harry! :D

You have to try it a few times. Once you get the feel the turns come easy! I had trouble leaning into the turn, but once that happened I spent less time on the ground. I also started out with butt pads.

:D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Does this mean your skiing days are over Rand? I'm always afraid to try boarding for fear that I'll get hooked - all those years learning how to ski down the drain ;)
Randonnee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Randonnee »

I am not giving up any of my skis Just adding new skills :D

I enjoy touring too much and I don't think snowboards are the best tool for that activity. Even the split boards seem like they would be heavy and hard to deal with when carrying a large pack. The only change I see in the skiing is I am spending more time on the tele gear and less on the randonnee.

I think snowboards will most likely become something to play with when avalanche conditions are too high in the BC.
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

My splitboard is 13 lbs, my all mountain board is 6 lbs.

After carrying the splitboard, shovel, beacon skins and everything else for backcountry travel (25 lbs) WITH my pack (another 25 lbs) over suncupped snow, we decided if we can't skin in, we'll make it a daytrip. :retard: http://community.webshots.com/photo/369 ... 8312rIxoOc

We cut that trip short, 2 days instead of 3.

If you do some easy trips, we'd be interested.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

copeg

Post by copeg »

Snow Nymph wrote:My splitboard is 13 lbs, my all mountain board is 6 lbs.
We cut that trip short, 2 days instead of 3.

If you do some easy trips, we'd be interested.
I'm amazed your splitboard weighs twice as much as your mountain board! I didn't know they weighed that much. On top of all the other gear...ugh. One of the drags of winter/spring (and suncup) travel .
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

My mountain boards are 151 and 152cm. My splitboard is a 156, plus it has a lot of hardware for locking the boards together and metal plates to move the bindings into split and riding mode. It also has heel lifts and can add crampons (I only had to use them once)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/315 ... 1871MNNulO

Then there's the extra metal edge in the middle. Its heavy! I took it up Mammoth Mtn to learn to ride a longer/heavier board, and liked it! For my size I should be riding a 147, but I always liked longer boards. 156 is the shortest splitboard they make.