Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Hi Lumbergh21,

We aslo enjoy TR's from areas outside of the Sierra, like from the Trinity area too. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JorgeGhr
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JorgeGhr »

Hi, I am George. My son and I are avid backpackers from the state of Washington. We completed the Wonderland Trail this past summer!

This summer we are thinking about doing the North Lake to South Lake loop. As a kid, I grew up in Southern California, and remember yearly fishing trips to Bishop Creek Lodge, and Parchers Resort, but my family never went hiking or backpacking. I remember reading about these trails as a kid and now I am going to do it with my son!

Thanks
Last edited by JorgeGhr on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi George,

Welcome to HST! Please post any questions you may have about backpacking in the appropriate section. Thanks :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
orisjt
Topix Newbie

Post by orisjt »

Greetings. My name is Jim, and I joined the forum yesterday after searching for hiking info. I've been camping my whole life and fell in love with the Sierras 20 years ago as a water quality and ecology scientist/researcher. My research group has conducted studies in remote mountain lakes ranging from near Mt. Shasta down to the northern border of Yosemite. Over time, my wife came out a few times at the end of trips and we would spend a few days car camping and doing day hikes. Eventually she agreed to do a backpacking trip and she fell in love too. We've hiked pretty extensively in Yosemite over the past 10 years and had one trip to Ansel Adams, mostly doing 4 night loop hikes. We've also hiked a few times in Desolation. Last year we did a section hike from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley, and this coming year we are planning Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows.

We are both ~60 yrs old and in decent shape (but live at low elevation). We are principally "on-trail" hikers and like to take our time, covering an average of 8-10 miles per day (we have covered 16 miles in a day, but only out of pure necessity). We hate store-bought trail food, so I've developed a few good recipes and dehydrate all our food at home.

Looking forward to researching our trip for this year on the forum. Thanks for hosting!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jim,

Welcome to HST and thanks for the intro! :)

wandering_biped
Topix Novice

Post by wandering_biped »

Hi,
I'm Don. I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join. I'm lucky enough to be able to get in 2 longer trips (10-14 days) a year along with a good amount of 1-4 day trips because my job is freelance (film:tv camera crews). I live in Los Angeles and frequent our local backcountry areas like Southern Los Padres, Angeles Forest and San Gorgonio Wilderness along with the Sierra. Although I don't generally refer to myself as such, others call me an ultralight backpacker. On trail and solo or with one or 2 others I enjoy doing about 20 miles a day mostly because I'd rather keep hiking than sit in camp for a few hours. If in a group, I definitely enjoy doing shorter days and hanging around camp playing cards, fishing, talking... I make a lot of gear too. Some times just for fun or to fit a very specific need. I've made quilts, tarps, various shoulder pouches, countless alcohol stoves, winter sleep booties, waterproof mitts...

I've become more interested in off trail/xc hiking in order to visit less visited areas and I found HST from doing google searches for beta on various routes. I'm just getting my feet wet but this year I'm looking at hiking to Spring Lake via Glacier Pass and then to Big 5 Lakes via Hands and Knees Pass. I especially love lakes above the tree line. I'm also really considering going to Maverick's 2017 meet up as part of this trip but I'll probably drive to Road's End and hike in from there for an overnighter. I also enjoy Tenkara fishing while hiking although I'm a novice at best.
Last edited by wandering_biped on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Don,

Welcome to HST!
I'm also really considering going to Maverick's 2017 meet up as part of this trip but I'll probably drive to Road's End and hike in from there for an overnighter.
That would be great! :nod:

JeffEndicott
Topix Novice

Post by JeffEndicott »

Hi all,

I've been following this website for about a year and am getting ready to post a couple of trip reports, but just wanted to say hi first. Name is Jeff, 33 years old, of the Sacramento area. Love the site and its forums!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for your intro TR. :thumbsup:

wildcampinggirl
Topix Newbie

Post by wildcampinggirl »

So...I'm an American ex-pat who currently lives in Serbia but plans on doing some backpacking trips in the USA when I visit again. I'm a single mom and have been taking my girl backpackig with me since she was 3. I've got a blog about backpacking and camping with kids - (edit by Admin: promotional linking by new members frowned upon, please read HST Terms & Conditions) Check it out if you want some tips or inspiration about how your life doesn't have to end just because you had kids. ;)
Last edited by ERIC on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed promotional link