Sun at Last, 1st Day of fishing 2017

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Sun at Last, 1st Day of fishing 2017

Post by oldranger »

Couple of pics of Lake Billy Chinook. Managed limits of small kokanee, caught and released 2 bull trout to 20." Sorry but I don't take pics of undersized fish. Did not touch bull trout, just grabbed hook with needle nose pliers and turned upside down. The larger bull trout was in great shape, probably 3 to 3 1/2 lbs.
20170214_122206_resized.jpg
20170214_122208_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sun at Last, 1st Day of fishing 2017

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote: Sorry but I don't take pics of undersized fish.
Good one! :^o Next time will use that excuse too.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Give OR a break, Mark. I respect that no hand trout were filmed or harmed in the making of this report. :)
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Well I'm jealous. I did in fact get my first day of fishing in on Jan. 29, which is in fact the earliest I can recall doing it. It was not in freshwater, however, but on the shore off of the Marin Headlands.
5787LeeSmurfing.jpg
All four of us fished but only my son Lee caught anything. He caught 5 striped surf perch and kept 4 which was enough to amply feed us that evening.
SmurfsForCooking29Jan2017.jpg
As a result of this Lee has become very serious about wanting to try more saltwater shore fishing. We will plan on more of these little trips in coming months. At present Lee likes this kind of fishing better because he doesn't have to hike as much to get to the fishing spots. Dawn, on the other hand, is patiently waiting until the thaw--After moving back to the Bay Area, Dawn is looking forward to her first Deso trip and especially a certain place in Deso with absurdly huge char.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

GB

If Lee likes shore fishing better than backpacking because less hiking don't ever let him fish off a boat! For an old fart like me fishing from "the other Woman" is beginning to challenge my desire to head to the backcountry to fish. Especially since I am learning enough that successful days are the norm. FYI the fat little barbecued kokanee taste as good as a fish can taste when seasoned with a little smoked salt, garlic powder, and dill. Since Lake Billy Chinook has a 5 fish limit and the kokanee are so small they get barbecued for dinner right away. When the lakes with larger kokes and a larger limit open up one or 2 fish get eaten right away a couple are frozen for winter dining and about half to 2/3rds get smoked. Smoked kokanee are usually my contribution to potlucks or to munch on while watching baseball or football.

I do spend at least as much time prepping the boat and gear for kokanee and salmon fishing as I do my backpacking gear and in 3 years I have acquired more kokanee specific dodgers, hoochies, and spinners than all of my trout specific gear. I can't even take it all on the boat at one time!

Oh yeah, one more thing, who pays attention to markskor anyway?
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

I also enjoy surf perch fishing quite a bit (mostly in the Monterey Bay), and soon it will be striper season too !

Great scenery up there !
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote:Oh yeah, one more thing, who pays attention to markskor anyway?
All animosity aside, (probably well-deserved on my part anyway), after 10 years now, still I choose to hike with this curmudgeon...(you would think I'd learn?).

As Tioga Pass (and my TM Store job) might be a bit slow in opening up/ thawing out this year, (thinking mid June at the earliest), have already invited myself up to Bend for a brief fishing visit - hopefully this early June...just to see in person all this Koke fishing gear... and undoubtedly, get my share of grief. Good thing his wife Kathy is a real nice person.

Later in the summer, (September-ish?), Mike (who, as usual, makes all the hiking plans...a bit anal that way...just invites me along), has another tentative fishing adventure planned for us - 10+ days, Twin Lakes (Bridgeport) to Saddlebag. (For all his obvious faults, he always makes good plans.)
What makes it work so well is that neither one of us ever listens to the other.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

FYI Yosemite is not allowing campground reservations at TM for any earlier than July 15 this year. Don't know if that is normal or due to big snow year.
Mike

markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Last year was same thing (they said opening was to be July 1st then)...as they don't know either about the snow melting. They just guess.
As they actually opened earlier (June 15th)...campground ran on a first come/first served policy - no reservations...until their stated reservation date.