How To Post Photos & Where To Store Them

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How To Post Photos & Where To Store Them

Post by notis »

Yeah. I guess my underlying question was 'are there ways to embed the photo to bypass the 2MB limit on HST?' I'm not familiar enough with this type of thing to determine this. I totally understand the 2MB limit (for webpage loading times), but was hoping that if it was embedded from another hosting site at full size, it wouldn't strain the resources of the HST domain. (And it would also remove a couple steps of having to resize and resave before uploading.)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ImagePuppet Lk 2010 063 by Russ Lown, on Flickr

Way painful, but I know how to do it now. (not necessarily a pic of Puppet btw)

Code: Select all

[url=https://flic.kr/p/R2Ay4s][img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2648/32179539784_83d1d9b045_k.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/R2Ay4s]Puppet Lk 2010 063[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152128876@N07/]Russ Lown[/url], on Flickr
first you need a flickr acct. next you upload your pics and those you share must be public. You pick each pic you want to share and grab the BBcode (right click; share) grab that link with a copy and paste it back into the place you want to post it.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Gotcha. I just read an old TR where someone seemed to do something similar with Photobucket. Thanks very much!!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Re: vbulletin 3 style attachment uploading
Post by Movie » Tue May 26, 2015 11:15 pm

Have you tried phpbb 3.1.4 yet you can just drag and drop the pictures in the box where you type a reply to a topic (same box I am typing this reply) and it automatically uploads the pictures NO MORE selecting each attachment one at a time then clicking upload, having that annoying box popup then when its done uploading the single attachment reloading your page so you have to scroll down so you can add your next attachment.

I can add 20 pictures to a post as fast as it takes me to attach just one picture using phpbb 3.0.12. just open up Explorer (in Windows) navigate to where I keep my pictures select the pictures I want to attach to the post drag and drop them DONE.

The way phpbb 3.1.4 allows you to attach attachments is genius ! Give it a try I doubt you will still want to use something like vbulletin 3 style attachment uploading...

My hat is off to the phpbb development team job well done!
No, I haven't played with it, but it would be nice.. I know content size is important to control.

Source: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2295131
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Sigh.. Yes, it's time to upgrade again. The bummer is that by doing so all of the templates have to be completely rebuilt from scratch.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ERIC wrote:Sigh.. Yes, it's time to upgrade again. The bummer is that by doing so all of the templates have to be completely rebuilt from scratch.
No pressure.. The current site works very well. Congrats to you (and Greg) I did look at the template upgrade thing a bit for fun and it seems there are holes in the process.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hi Eric, and thanks in advance for your help with this. I have a problem with changing the image size to fit the limit of 2.0 mb. Sometimes I have managed to get the photos in, other times it has been hopeless. Most of our photos are in the Picasa site, and have been slightly modified- generally only cropping and shading effects. Might you know how to adapt the images to fit the reqs.? All the best, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Lots of software can do that. I use Irfanview which is free. Ctrl-R brings up the resize/resample menu. Setting the picture height to 1200 pixels with the 'preserve aspect ratio' checked will fit your picture into a 1080p max size. That should get it well below 2MB and is about the best most monitors can display anyways so little if anything is lost for computer viewing.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Don't use Picasa...use Photobucket...but -
With your already edited/cropped picture wide open on the screen - right click on it - Open... (left click the rest) with Paint.
(Top left) Click on lil Resize box - click on Pixels...(type in 1000 for the largest dimension)...click OK.
Top left - File - Save as to Pictures or to Desktop on your computer...Save.
You can then post the desired photo directly using Upload Attachments/ Insert Photos (bar under your response) from your computer.
Follow forum directions...Choose File...click on picture to select...Add the File...Place in Line.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

From PM:
Harlen wrote:Hi Eric,

I am still enjoying my "honeymoon period" with your Topix website. I wonder though, if you could assist me again with photos? When I try to include photos to posts I usually am told that they exceed the 2.0 limit. Sometimes if I persevere, I manage to get them in, but I sure would like to save the time struggling at it. My pictures are generally stored on the photo site "Picasa"- might this be part of the problem? I often use that "poor man's photoshop" to effect slight improvements in cropping, and by deepening shadows, though I try to avoid the unrealism caused by adding "saturation," or other such changes.
What can I try to more easily add a photo? Thanks in advance Eric, and there is no hurry- respond when you've got the time. Harlen.
Hi Harlen -

I think the advice given by markskor and Dave_Ayers above (as well as other advice in this thread) answers your questions. Unfortunately Picasa/Google make it very difficult (intentionally) to "hotlink" your photos on forums like this (i.e. using the Img or rimg BBCodes). You could use an alternative service like PhotoBucket or Flikr, or, resize using Irfanview, MS Paint, etc. and then upload here. I know the disclaimer says 2MB is the limit but it's actually 2.5MB.

ERIC
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix