Carrizo Plain Meet-up Mar-Apr

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Carrizo Plain Meet-up Mar-Apr

Post by maverick »

It has been since 2005, a very long wait, that the Carrizo Plain (Tremblor Range) had a super bloom and was it a spectauclar one, but since then it has barely reproduced anything like that painted hills phenomenon back then. This place can produce the best wildflower show in CA and beyond, when the conditions are right, we are very lucky to have it here in our backyard. :nod:

I will be monitoring the area and will announce the dates accordingly, that is if it produces a super bloom, it will occur at the end of Mar or the beginning of Apr, we will Meet-up on one of the weekends, some of us may go down Thur, those who can come earlier are welcome to join us.

This is a very special and rare natural occurance, if you enjoy wildflowers, then you owe it to yourself to witness this, at least once in your lifetime.

This Meet-up will also give our NoCal and SoCal members a chance to meet on another, while witnessing this beautiful wildflower show.

https://www.blm.gov/nlcs_web/sites/ca/s ... mping.html

2005 Tremblor Range, Carrizo Plain color splashed hills:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
psykokid
Topix Regular

Re: Carrizo Plain Meet-up Mar-Apr

Post by psykokid »

Sounds like fun. Love some nice carpets of wildflowers. Hopefully the blooms will start going off around the beginning of April. I'm booked up the last two weeks of March and the end of April with Boy Scout stuff for my son's troop.

The superbloom out in DV last year was nice, but it was mostly seas of yellow with a few spots of other color thrown in here and there. Some variety that the CP offers will be nice once the blooms start.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

On my radar!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The superbloom out in DV last year was nice, but it was mostly seas of yellow with a few spots of other color thrown in here and there. Some variety that the CP offers will be nice once the blooms start.
Exactly, my preference is also a large variety of colors instead of a dominant singular one. :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I like it! Might try and make it and combine with family visit.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

my only unclaimed weekend in March is the 18th, so will hope it coincides. We are tentatively thinking snowshoe overnight but of course that always depends.... April is a little freer at the moment, but we are anticipating that trail crews in the San Emigdios will happen, if the storming and washing out ever stops.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

I've never been to CP, is this a car camping trip or backpacking trip? What are the trails like, longer loops or mostly short day hikes? I would love to go if I can, but my March is pretty booked. If it happens to be during spring break thoug I should have tons of time.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Car camping, though I know folks who have just walked out and camped. I think there's one longer trail to the peak.... They only let you see the pictographs with a guide now, as I understand, because people graffiti'd all over the place. But a lot of the rest of the area is BLM/NF and dispersal camping is okay.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

As for camping at the Carrizo Plain...

There are two small "developed" campgrounds that have pit toilets and tables, but I don't think either one has water.

You can also "dispersed camp" anywhere on the side roads in the mountains on either side of the plain - but not on the plain itself. We camped last spring high up on the road over Caliente Mountain with beautiful sunrise and sunset views.

In any case, you need to bring your own water containers and fill up at the visitor center.

-Phil
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Carrizo Plain 3/10 report:
No “carpets” of flowers yet, but good reports of blooms along Soda Lake Road around the KCL Campground, and in the valley floor.
Looks promising so far, the forecast calls for temps to be in the lower to mid/high 70's thru this week and into next week, hopefully, this will help the bloom develop and gives us peak conditions towards the last week of March or first week of Apr. :nod: