Hetch Hetchy/Vernon Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hetch Hetchy/Vernon Loop

Post by Cross Country »

I would say don't do the loop, but I'll bet there's no chance you would be able to loop it.
Hike to where the snow is and work on the snow until it's just about unbearable and then turn back. To get to Vernon you have to hike above beehive where there will be lots of snow - worse higher up.
If I went on a trip LDW from Hech Hetchy I would go to the easiest trip and go to Laurel Lake. Dispite that that's the easyist, it still might not be doable. Also - to cross a VERY swollen frog creek youl'd need to find a downed trees log crossing. Good luck in finding a place to camp without snow - maybe at the north end.
I've been to Laurel 5-10 times in my life. I liked the fishing there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Why in the world would you just go to Beehive? That is all the work, none of the scenery. In my opinion the loop is not worth the effort unless you can complete it; and this year you are unlikely to complete it. Put this off for later in the season or another year. There are so many alternatives that are ten times more scenic. If you are set on doing part of this loop, if the bridge is not out, just going to Rancheria Falls and back is the much more scenic leg of the loop. Why are you set on this loop?

I will repeat my opinion, that this year, early season, hikes out of Yosemite Valley are much more appropriate and scenic.
suziet_
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by suziet_ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Why in the world would you just go to Beehive? That is all the work, none of the scenery. In my opinion the loop is not worth the effort unless you can complete it; and this year you are unlikely to complete it. Put this off for later in the season or another year. There are so many alternatives that are ten times more scenic. If you are set on doing part of this loop, if the bridge is not out, just going to Rancheria Falls and back is the much more scenic leg of the loop. Why are you set on this loop?

I will repeat my opinion, that this year, early season, hikes out of Yosemite Valley are much more appropriate and scenic.

I wouldn't say I'm set on the loop, but I'm set on backpacking Yosemite. I've already established plans and have a flight from Austin, Texas to do this.
suziet_
Topix Novice

Post by suziet_ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:As someone who has done a lot in Yosemite, I also think the day-hike idea is great. This time of year Yosemite Valley falls should be fantastic. You may be able to score a first-come permit to backpack to Merced Lake. Camp 4 is a non-reserve campsite in Yosemite Valley. You have a very short walk-in. Also, with your permit, whether you use it or not, you get the night before and night after for the backpacker campgrounds - one in the valley and one at Hetch Hetchy. These are guaranteed campsites with your current permit. Day hike up Mist Trail and down Muir Trail is a classic. As is Yosemite Falls, Snow Creek, and Four Mile Trail. Even though I have done these trails many times, I will do them again this year- I never tire of it. Also, if you want to go off trail just walk down the bank of the Merced River in the Valley - you will have solitude and great views. Drink wine at sunset in El Capitan Meadows!
Would you suggest calling to possibly obtain a permit or switch my permit to Merced Lake for Memorial Day Weekend? How long is that hike? Best backpacking suggestions? (I realize I could look this up, but it's late and I'm lazy at the moment - lol. Plus I figured it's best to ask the experts.)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Merced Lake? Your chances of getting a permit starting at Happy Isles are pretty darn low. They're no doubt all reserved and the walk ins will vanish in the first few people in line. If you cannot be there the day BEFORE you want to start at 11 am (earlier than that actually -- there will be a long line of hopefuls like you already there) you are not going to get that trailhead. All the backup trailheads, Glacier Point or Illilouette, or Lost Bear, are on Glacier Point Road -- those are going to be fully reserved as well and then it's the same problem.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry, but I missed the fact that you are talking about Memorial Day weekend. That makes it really tough to get a new permit. What you do have now is a permit that allows you to camp at the backpacker's campgrounds. That is an advantage and allows you to consider day-hikes. Although not ideal, worst case, if you cannot get any campsite on that middle day of your permit, there are several "dispersed" forest service camping areas just outside the park. One, on Ackerman Creek, is on the Evergreen Road, on the way to the Hetch-Hetchy Entrance. These are not campgrounds, but just places where you can pull of a dirt road and camp.

Keep an eye on the Yosemite web-site. There is only one major road into Yosemite right now due to storm damage. I am not sure you can even get to Hetch Hetchy from Yosemite Valley right now. Hopefully all gets fixed by Memorial Day. We have a really deep snowpack that has to melt, and this could cause more flooding. The "Caltrans Quick Map" is also a good source of road information, although they do not include roads within Yosemite.

Be aware that traffic in Yosemite Valley on a holiday weekend can get really jammed. If you decide to drive down to the Valley, you need a really early start to beat the traffic. You do not want to spend your holiday stuck in traffic or waiting in lines. You can get some walk-in permits at Big Oak Entrance or the Hetch Hetchy Entrance.

Where are you flying into? Are you renting a car or taking a bus?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The road between Crane Flat and the valley is under construction - they are probably aiming to get it all done before Memorial Day, however, from the pictures I've seen it's a LOT of work left to be done....

And yes, traffic will be H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E. There will be lines, miles long, because not all the entrances are open. 41 re-opened, and 140 is open, but there will be crowding not just because of the holiday but because so many people who would take 120 will be forced to go around, if that road doesn't open in time.

I have been stuck in traffic in that mile between Curry and Yosemite Village (aka Half Dome Village and Yosemite Village) for three f'ing hours before, and that was not even a holiday weekend. I really do not envy anyone who will be there MDW, definitely. Whether they backpack or not. Trails and camps and roads will all be crazy.

I am really, really, really surprised the road to Hetch Hetchy is still open -- it's narrow and long with significant drop offs, as most of the roads prone to washouts and rockfalls tend to be. I would suppose that the City and County of San Francisco jumps through hoops to keep the road open as they operate the power plant - they have a better budget than the park system for such things.
suziet_
Topix Novice

Post by suziet_ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Sorry, but I missed the fact that you are talking about Memorial Day weekend. That makes it really tough to get a new permit. What you do have now is a permit that allows you to camp at the backpacker's campgrounds. That is an advantage and allows you to consider day-hikes. Although not ideal, worst case, if you cannot get any campsite on that middle day of your permit, there are several "dispersed" forest service camping areas just outside the park. One, on Ackerman Creek, is on the Evergreen Road, on the way to the Hetch-Hetchy Entrance. These are not campgrounds, but just places where you can pull of a dirt road and camp.

Keep an eye on the Yosemite web-site. There is only one major road into Yosemite right now due to storm damage. I am not sure you can even get to Hetch Hetchy from Yosemite Valley right now. Hopefully all gets fixed by Memorial Day. We have a really deep snowpack that has to melt, and this could cause more flooding. The "Caltrans Quick Map" is also a good source of road information, although they do not include roads within Yosemite.

Be aware that traffic in Yosemite Valley on a holiday weekend can get really jammed. If you decide to drive down to the Valley, you need a really early start to beat the traffic. You do not want to spend your holiday stuck in traffic or waiting in lines. You can get some walk-in permits at Big Oak Entrance or the Hetch Hetchy Entrance.

Where are you flying into? Are you renting a car or taking a bus?
We are flying into San Fran and renting a car. We will be driving Thursday night to Yosemite and staying overnight in our car before starting out on Friday. A ranger I spoke to basically said it's all variable dependent. She couldn't give really any recommendations but did say that Hetch Hetchy will be the most accessible throughout the park for that time of year. I suppose we can just try it out and if all else fails turn back and camp in the backpackers campground.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

And you can bet it will be overcrowded as heck.

I would get a permit from the Groveland ranger station and take a trailhead out of Cherry Lake, instead. Same area, same scenery, you cross the border into Yosemite, Hetch Hetchy is a moderately strenuous hike from Lake Eleanor, and the Yosemite crowds will all be jamming themselves into Yosemite.
suziet_
Topix Novice

Post by suziet_ »

Not a bad idea. Bummer you cant reserve it ahead of time, but could easily wake up super early Friday morning and do so. The backup being our Yosemite permit. Is there a specific route/trail you could point me to?

I see this http://beaut-tree.net/backpacking-styx- ... ilderness/
and this http://www.firstchurchofthemasochist.co ... -main.html

Also, we have the ability to do Friday - Monday. We fly out of SF Tuesday afternoon.