Carrizo Plain Meet-up Mar-Apr

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Carrizo Plain Meet-up Mar-Apr

Post by rlown »

or Anza-Borrego State Park, northeast of San Diego.. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/31/ca ... +-+Text%29
1490989881323.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I'm heading there for a few days of camping in mid April. East of Julian which is farther South and 3k higher than Borrego Springs. Hopefully the bloom will move higher before moving out, but there should still be plenty of cacti in bloom.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm going on Saturday for the day - pictures a friend brought back show it's going to be stupendous.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Here are a few photos from last Friday. Mostly yellow with patches of purple and some faint traces of orange...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for coming back and posting these wonderful photo's Micheal! :thumbsup:
Were there a lot of people?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

AlmostThere wrote:I'm going on Saturday for the day - pictures a friend brought back show it's going to be stupendous.
I'm on the fence about driving up Friday night after work. Thinking about dispersed camping off the side of the road in the Tremblor range, getting some early morning shots and then head back home. Have to pick up my wife and kids at Long Beach airport Saturday afternoon.

I'll have to keep an eye on the weather forecast.. Looking like it might rain this weekend in that neck of the woods flat overcast skies don't make for the best photos of wildflowers as they need good sun to open up all the way...
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

psykokid wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:I'm going on Saturday for the day - pictures a friend brought back show it's going to be stupendous.
I'm on the fence about driving up Friday night after work. Thinking about dispersed camping off the side of the road in the Tremblor range, getting some early morning shots and then head back home. Have to pick up my wife and kids at Long Beach airport Saturday afternoon.

I'll have to keep an eye on the weather forecast.. Looking like it might rain this weekend in that neck of the woods flat overcast skies don't make for the best photos of wildflowers as they need good sun to open up all the way...
I'm not bothering to even try camping... a lot of trouble to fight with crowds. It's been really, really busy.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rain forecasted for Fri and Sat. Elkhorn Road could be a mess, don't even try it if don't have a high clearance vehicle.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
EricaR
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by EricaR »

I was out at the Carrizo Plain last weekend. The wildflowers are stunning, as the photos from Tuesday show.
Also their is a field of purple near Soda Lake. Here's the current forecast: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... OV9lWe1v0M Friday-Friday Night-Saturday 40%-60%-30%. There is another wildflower hot spot nearby, Shell Creek. You'll pass through it if heading west on Hwy 58 from the Carrizo Plain. About 25 miles from the Carrizo Plain, turn right of 58 onto the road. There will likely be lots of cars parked on the road. It is private land, but folks walk all over it enjoying the wildflowers.

Erica
EricaR
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by EricaR »

The road from Hwy 58 to the visitor center (past Soda Lake) is paved. Then It turns to an all weather gravel road suitable for most cars, then connects to Hwy 166, a distance of perhaps 50 miles. There are numerous dirt side roads off the all-weather road. Probably be better to stay off them if they are wet. Even when dry they require high clearance and maybe 4wd.