June 19th-22nd plan B for yosemite?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
boognish
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

June 19th-22nd plan B for yosemite?

Post by boognish »

Looking for suggestions on what I should do. The original plan was Arrive June 18th from Louisiana. June 19th start at Cathedral Lake Trailhead. Go to sunrise lakes, cloud rest, and then exit happy isles on the 22nd. Check in to Big Tree Lodge 22nd and check out on the 24th. 23rd day hike Yosemite Falls. With all the snow I figure I need a plan B for the 19th to the 22nd. I have never been to Yosemite and I was very excited about my original plan. I still really, really, want to try to stick to it, but I don’t know how realistic that is now. If you were in my position how would you approach this. Should I just vaguely have some routes in mind and talk to the rangers when I get there and hope to be able to get permits. I was really excited to do cloud rest. Can anyone suggest any alt trails for me to start. I am guessing I am just going to have to show up and hope for a permit now. What is my best option and how would you approach this.
Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: June 19th-22nd plan B for yosemite?

Post by maverick »

I still really, really, want to try to stick to it, but I don’t know how realistic that is now.
Would definitely start planning a plan B trip, Tioga Road may not be open by the time of your trip.

You can start your trip from Yosemite Valley, camp at the Sunrise (JMT)/Clouds Rest junction, and hike to the top of CD in next morning. Check on the trail conditions periodically and even though there will be a well worn path up, if there is a lot of snow is on the ground there are sections that the snow will be icy and hard (shady sections below CD), you will need to wait till it softens up (start later in the day) or use spikes (traction device) and poles.

Day-hiking to the top of the Three Brothers, Vernal Falls & Nevada Falls, or up the Panorama Trail are all great and will keep you busy if you cannot get permits, which may be difficult because of all the snow in the high country, all the people who will want to get out, and with only so many permits per day.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Yes, Yosemite summer plans...(Got some myself).
Problem is all this pesky snow...still pretty thick. Icy and slick nights and in the shade, then firm, all-too-soon crusty, cement-like...then post-hole hell...everywhere. From up here, (8,000') snow is melting - still piles in town though. By mid June, (hopefully if no more storms) could allow plowing/opening of Tioga, but doubtful. Myself, guessing last week in June...120 open by July 4th? Still, by that time, much still should be passable up to 9,500'...easy snow OK? So your call there. Agree, just ask Ranger when you get there as anytime in Yosemite always good, but...
Up Snow Creek - down Yosemite Falls
HI to...Clouds Rest or maybe Merced/ Washburn and back
Maybe the Chains? south Yosemite lakes, if Beasore is open?
Mountainman who swims with trout
boognish
Topix Novice

Post by boognish »

If the road is closed how hard is it going to be to get another permit and place to camp? Should I be looking at someplace outside the park and if so where? Should I just relax, show up, and just figure something out when I get there? Sorry if these questions seem silly. I have just never planned a trip like this. I have normally stuck with what I know. Online, the answers are all over the place. I am flexible and want to respect and stay within the rules and etiquette of the park.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is the quota list for each trailhead, as you see for Yosemite Valley, there are a certain amount of first-come first-served permits available for the trailhead each day. You will have to get there early, before the wilderness office opens to snag them.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm

PS Read: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrcamping.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The walk ins are available the day BEFORE you want to start. At 11 am. Not the day you want to start.

You have a few opportunities for walk in permits -- show up well before 10 am, and you have a shot at permits for the SAME DAY that others reserved and then abandoned by not being there at 10 am. Hang out til 11 am and you have a chance at walk ins for the following day. If you can manage a place to stay -- arriving in Yosemite on the YARTS means you can stay in backpacker camps without a permit in hand, for example -- you can try again the following day at 10 am for unclaimed permits, and then for the walk in for the day after that.

Quite a large number of permits tend to be abandoned for a lot of reasons having little to do with the park.
boognish
Topix Novice

Post by boognish »

Ok. Thanks guys/gals. I guess I am going to show up and hope for the best. Then hope I am able to pick up a walk in permit. Guess I will get back to studying the maps so I have some other routes in mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am now confused. In recent years past I have obtained same-day walk-in permits after 11 AM. If someone does not show up for a permit, they give it out after 11AM, first come basis, the same day. Has that changed?

Am I to assume that Big Trees Lodge is on the west side? Are you looking for alternatives on the west side of Tioga Pass? Currently, you cannot get from Yosemite Valley to the north (Hwy 120) due to road damage, but I would think it would be fixed by late June.

With your current permit you can camp at the backpacker's campgrounds the night before and night after your permit dates. In between you could camp outside the park, if you could not get a site at Camp 4. There are dispersed FS campsites on the road to the entrance to Hetch Hetchy (Ackerson Creek) just off the road, and several campgrounds along Hwy 120 between Groveland and Yosemite. Thus, you could do day-hikes. Honestly, I feel you see as much, if not more in Yosemite with day-hikes.

Ideally if you can score a campsite at Camp 4, you can do several days wonderful day-hikes from the Valley. You already can camp the night before and night after your current permit dates in the backpacker campground. I know a lot of people in this forum do not agree, but just hanging out in Yosemite Valley and day-hiking for four days is really fun. It is not a wilderness experince, but very scenic, especially with the waterfalls. There is a wonderful trail system (12-mile trail circles the valley) . Good long day-hikes- up Four mile trail, Panorama Trail to top of Nevada Falls and down Mist Trail to the valley. North Rim Traverse (I have done this in a day and you have lots of daylight). I have also climbed Coulds Rest in one day fromt the Valley. You can also do shorter hikes. I think there is plenty to do if your original plan is not possible.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If you get a walk in for the same day it may be either an unclaimed walk in from the day before, or an unclaimed reserved permit.

Wilderness permits are available during business hours at any permit issuing station beginning at 11 am the day before the beginning of your wilderness trip. Priority for permits for a particular trailhead is given to the closest permit issuing station, though it is possible to obtain a permit for any trailhead at any permit issuing station. This mainly affects the most popular trailheads that fill up quickly each morning, such as Little Yosemite Valley trailheads, Lyell Canyon, Cathedral Lakes, among others.

First-come, first-served procedure for all wilderness permit stations (approximately May through October): Unreserved permits are available on a first-come, first-served basis beginning at 11 am on the day before the intended entry date. All reservations (same day and next day) and same-day unreserved permits may still be picked up when the wilderness center opens for the day.

Even with a reservation, you, or another member of your hiking group, must pick up the wilderness permit at any permit station during business hours the day of, or the day before, your hike. Reserved permits are held until 10 am on the day of your trip.
boognish
Topix Novice

Post by boognish »

If the roads are closed would I still be able to pick up my permit so I can stay in the backpacker camp when I arrive?