Hiking buddy wanted/HST June 24th thru July 4th

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Tearex
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Hiking buddy wanted/HST June 24th thru July 4th

Post by Tearex »

Hey, hikers, backpackers and all alike. I am looking for someone who would like to trail with me on my first big trek. I am a 23 male who loves in San Diego with 2 permits for the HST. I've done multiple​ backpacking trips, which included all 6 peaks in southern Cali. I know I'm just stepping in a tide pool compared to this 71 miles trek but I believe I'm ready. I know it's one of the wettest years in history, so snow hiking will definitely be involved. I'm no expert but I'm constantly keeping in shape, researching and modifying my gear for this environment. It would be lovely if some fellow friend would join me with a set of skills to help me along this journey haha. If not maybe any viewers could give some advice, it would be much appreciated. I'm trying to finish this hike in 7 days, 9 days max. These conditions I keep reading make me nervous that the end of June will still be covered in snow. But I rather try and fail than to completely not go. I'm currently in the Navy and I won some permits. Fate? Who knows, but the mountains are calling. Also this is my first ever forum so I hope this wasn't too bad. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Tearex on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking buddy wanted/HST June 24th thru July 4th

Post by AlmostThere »

You'll get to a certain point and turn around because it's unsafe to cross that snow or that stream. Hopefully like everyone else who likes to stay alive.
Don't forget -- reconn.org.
Good luck finding a partner who hikes your pace. That's really hard to do.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Is the permit for a point-to-point Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal? Or an in-and-out? Or reverse one-way?

The problem may not be stream crossings as much as a big drift (very steep snow) covers the tunnel above Hamilton Lake. You may need crampons, ice axe climbing experience and perhaps a short rope to get around that. Then again, if you get there and cannot get around the drift, then you still have had a great trip to Hamilton Lake, and could come back out and get a first-come permit to another location. Or loop back out via Tablelands and Pear Lake.

The trail on the east side of Whitney also gets covered with steep snow on the upper switchbacks. Again, same equipment and skills needed that you need to get around the tunnel area above Hamilton. Hard to say what condtions will be- we still have a lot of time for the melt and the drifts are a result of wind directions this winter as well as total amounts of snow.

You will likely be on soft snow across Chagoopa Plateau. Again, feasible if you time it right- walk on the snow before it gets soft.

If someone goes with you be sure you both have experience on snow and be willing to turn back if conditions are unsafe. I have done early season trips in these areaa and was lucky in that the cornice/drift above Hamilton Lake was minor and because I was climbing, had all needed equipment on the Whitney side. On the Hamilton Lake side there also may be steps already made by others. I think 9 days is sufficient, because you can really go fast into Hamilton Lake. I have done it in one day many times, even carrying a heavy pack full of climbing gear. And there are many sections on trails, without snow, that you can easily make 10-15 miles in one day. There will be harder snowy sections where you may work all day to make 5 miles. Average it out and I think it is possible, if you have the skills.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Tearex,

Welcome to HST!
Don't try doing this by yourself, conditions could be difficult in sections, and as it was pointed out, turn around if in doubt, you can always go back another time to finish it. Semper Fi ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tearex
Topix Novice

Post by Tearex »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Is the permit for a point-to-point Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal? Or an in-and-out? Or reverse one-way?
Thank you so much for the feedback I really appreciate it. I am hiking from crescent meadow to Whitney portal. I do have little experience with snow. I've hiked with cramp ons and a ice axe. (it added so much more time than i wanted) but it was was definitely worth the journey when I made it to the end. With the rope I need to figure that out. I was already planning to have a few extra days to spare if I can get pass through all of the snow. Never the less I am still willing to try since I got the permit. Thank you again for all the information. Hopefully someone can come along. Cheers!
Tearex
Topix Novice

Post by Tearex »

maverick wrote:Hi Tearex,

Welcome to HST!
Don't try doing this by yourself, conditions could be difficult in sections, and as it was pointed out, turn around if in doubt, you can always go back another time to finish it. Semper Fi ;)
Thank you maverick! Much appreciative with your comments. Lets hope things look better when the snow melts! Cheers.
elimvzq
Topix Novice

Post by elimvzq »

Are you still going? Curious as if you've made any changes to your intinerary, we just got back from Hamilton lakes, as of 6/9 there's still a lot of snow up there.