Lost Trip Report

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lost Trip Report

Post by ERIC »

Harlen wrote:Eric, you can forget the maps- this absolutely infuriating computer (but our computer is fine) swallowed another submission due to randomly? (or is there any sense to it?!) logging me out. I hit submit, after hours of careful construction of a trip report, and it said: "you must be logged in to ...., " and my work was disappeared! I am certain that I never logged out- does the system log one out periodically, if so, after how much time has elapsed? How does one save ones work to avoid losing it? I earlier today tried the "save draft" key on a different piece of writing, and nothing was saved- lost again! But the last loss was hours of my time and effort.

I remember this sickening feeling from long ago when I managed to lose college reports- please tell me that it's my fault so I can learn the system and try again when my frustration level is down.

Can you perhaps locate the TR? It was in the Winter sports section, titled "Trip Report from Desolation Wilderness, and I may have added to Aloha Lake", or "Lake Aloha." When it told me that I needed to log in to access this or that, I logged in on the same empty page, but when a new screen showed- nothing there of my TR. I've searched my drafts, tried the arrow backward ... nothing! Oh well.

I sorry that you have to the one to receive this diatribe Eric- I certainly am not blaming you, but please inform me of some way to save ones work so this never happens again. Thanks a lot, Harlen.
Harlen -

I'm sorry to hear about your lost trip report. I'm re-posting your PM to me here so that anyone who might have additional input can help. As with all technical support questions we strongly suggest you post them here and avoid sending via PM so that you have a chance of receiving a quicker and more helpful response.

Can you please tell me what operating system and version, and what browser and version you are using? Also, what are you running as far as security software? I do know the site went down a couple of times on the morning of the 25th (same day as your PM above). Occasionally the site host has to reboot the server. We always suggest members here that long posts, such as trip reports, be drafted outside of a post window (like in MS Word, etc.) and that once you start working within a post window you click the "Save Draft" button often. The session timeout was set to an hour but I just changed that to three hours to see if that makes any difference.

ERIC
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: Lost Trip Report

Post by Harlen »

Great idea re. writing my post on a Word doc., and then transferring it. I believe our security software is AVG, and our operating sys, is Google Chrome- I think #10. Thanks for the advice, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Make sure you're running Google Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87 or higher and that your Windows or iOS are up to date. When you installed AVG, did you make any custom settings changes or just go with default?
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I have lost things when I take a long time to compose them. I got logged out without knowing it and the document was lost. What I do now if I have taken a long time writing is to select all and copy before hitting post. If the document is lost due to log-out, I just log back in, paste, and post.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I didn't realize the timeout setting was only at an hour. I think that is default but I could have sworn I modified that long ago. Perhaps it reverted to default after updating something in the back end - who knows. Anyway, changing the timeout setting to three hours, hopefully, resolves this issue.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Tom_H wrote:I have lost things when I take a long time to compose them. I got logged out without knowing it and the document was lost. What I do now if I have taken a long time writing is to select all and copy before hitting post. If the document is lost due to log-out, I just log back in, paste, and post.
After having similar things happen on other forums, I do the same thing when getting ready to submit a long post that took a while to write up. A preventative select all + copying to the clipboard can save a lot of grief in the event something goes wrong.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

All great pieces of advice which I will heed. Thanks a lot, Harlen.

to Eric: No, I didn't make an y custom changes to the AVG.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.