My SAR below Lake Catherine and Rehab | High Sierra Topix  

My SAR below Lake Catherine and Rehab

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.

Re: My SAR below Lake Catherine and Rehab

Postby Rockyroad » Wed May 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Sierrapam, thanks for reading my story. I'm glad you were able to work your way to Twin Island Lakes and enjoy the area, despite your tooth pain. Maybe I can complete the trip sometime in the future. Having the SPOT really saved me. Funny thing is, I just got rid of the SPOT and bought an Inreach. I would have had to upgrade to a Gen3 SPOT anyways but I liked the text messaging capabilities of the Inreach.

Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby Teresa Gergen » Thu May 11, 2017 6:54 am

SPOT also saved my life, and then I also switched to an InReach and am very happy I did.

+1 on always carrying serious prescription painkillers and antibiotics.

Hope your recovery is going well.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Postby Tom_H » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:40 am

I don't know how I missed this thread for a full year, but am so glad to read your account and that you are on the way to recovery. I have never gone solo except for day hikes on well populated trails. Your story illustrates how important it is for those going solo to take extra precautions re. itinerary and emergency communicators. Thanks for sharing the story.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby CAMERONM » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:34 am

2. Use a satellite communications device that pings your location at regular intervals. If I had stayed unconscious, I would not have been able to signal for rescue.

Thanks for this great post. I am glad that you are doing better.
When going solo I do use the 5-min tracking feature of the SPOT for this reason. A SPOT-3 can go weeks with no battery change, even in 5-minute tracking mode.
A corollary is to discuss with those watching your tracks when to call the authorities, and when not. For a time I was sending an OK message when stopping, but of course the individual messages don't always make it through. I often have one-hour tracking dropouts in some canyons. But combined with an itinerary, the SPOT tracks narrow the search area considerably.
CAMERONM
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Previous

Return to Missing Persons Alerts / SAR Updates