Donner party redux?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Donner party redux?

Post by Hobbes »

As many have noted, there appears to be a lot of European hikers on the PCT this year. Those with winter experience from the Alps region and Nordic countries are apparently eager to take on the Sierra in spring snow conditions. I noticed this last year, with perhaps the first northbound hikers in May hailing from Norway.

For 2017, there seems to be quite a number of people already at Kennedy meadows, the figurative start of the Sierra. This Swiss couple found out the hard way what happens when a spring storm hits the high Sierra.

https://www.instagram.com/with_a_blonde/

I had been casually browsing their instagram feed when I noticed they were in Lone Pine. As I started reading their account, it all suddenly became quite clear what had occurred.

Can you list the number of things that went wrong? Note that they had proper winter hiking equipment, including snow shoes. So why did they retreat? And what happens when you're not completely certain as to what your exit options are? As in, Horseshoe meadows doesn't provide an escape route when the road is closed.

Their story turns out fine because they're in good condition - even though they had to walk all the way down to Lone Pine. But what about everyone else stacked up behind? Who will make a mistake and try to go over Trail crest, Shepherd or Forester before these routes are cleared for "normal" travel?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Donner party redux?

Post by Jimr »

I'm retarded when it comes to instagram and twitter and the like. All I see is a bunch of pictures. And, what the heck are hash tags and @ symbols used for?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:And, what the heck are hash tags and @ symbols used for?
You don't need to know.. You don't really want to know. Trump has them. :)

I just watched 2 hrs of train plow films on the Donner pass.. Not a good year if you were in that party..

hash tags/instagram:
To tag a photo or video with a hashtag: Take or upload a photo or video. Choose to add a filter, then type # followed by text or emoji in the Caption field (ex: #flower) If you want to add a hashtag to a post you've already uploaded, edit the caption or include your hashtag in a comment on your photo.
The other symbol: http://blogoneanother.com/twitter-symbols/

Its generally when more than one thing goes wrong that the problems snowball. Could be medical, physical, weather or a really bad combination. Doesn't really matter where you're from. If they did the research, they should know better about the new terrain.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

I think that river crossings and snow bridges are the real big threat this year while everyone seems focused on the passes.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Can you list the number of things that went wrong?
I stopped when I noticed the guy in his shorts and running shoes standing in the snow looking at the imminent storm approaching.