Little Lakes Valley snow conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
MichaelCharters
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Little Lakes Valley snow conditions

Post by MichaelCharters »

Has anyone been up to the Rock Creek area and the Little Lakes Valley trails to see what the current snow conditions are there?
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Little Lakes Valley snow conditions

Post by Gazelle »

Was there last Saturday June 3rd, had to hike up the road for about a mile still lots of snow with a few dry spots.
Once past trail head still spotty snow if you wanted to ski better to wait till up a little further.
decenct sun cups most of the way to treasure lake, we started hiking in just gortex trailrunners at 5:30 am and could walk on the snow (no postholing) until Dade Lkae where we doned the crampons (perfect conditions (not too soft or hard). Did get very soft sinking about a fot about the 11500/ 12000 foot level.(at about 10am)

Was heading for pipsqueak and Dade but my friends were struggling so I turned around not far from North col or a little to the left of Cox col, they turned quite a bit below my. Absolutely beautiful and well worth the trip and a great warm up for myself and boyfriend to do Shasta. Practice some self arrests etc he had never used crampons etc.
1000.jpg
1001.jpg
1002.jpg
1003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Way back did put on snowshoes maybe not necessary but made it easier this was at about 11am and it did freeze the night before and was cloudy and kind of cool that day
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
MichaelCharters
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by MichaelCharters »

So the road is closed a mile below Mosquito Flat?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Was last week that is what they say is the forest service gate /pack statiom haven't looked at updates in 2 days
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So the road is closed a mile below Mosquito Flat?
Rock Creek Road: Road is open to the pack station..

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/inyo ... rdb5403323
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
beyondbios
Topix Acquainted

Post by beyondbios »

I have reservations for July 3rd. Would like to do some fishing, can you tell me what lakes have iced out. Looks like the Treasure Lakes won't be fishable. But what about Mack, Marsh, Box and Long?
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Ultrajen »

Wondering about now? I was up on Whitney Friday but am headed here with my kiddo oct 7