Mount Langley conditions

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
ckale00
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Mount Langley conditions

Post by ckale00 »

I am planning to hike Mt Langley on July 1st 2017. Does anyone have information on current conditions at Mt Langley? (or estimation of what it might be like in the beginning of July) Specifically, how far from the summit does the snow begin? Are crampons / iceaxes necessary to complete the hike?

For context, I have a day hike permit for Mount Whitney on July 29th, and I was hoping to try Mt Langley (even if I don't reach the summit) as part of my training checklist. I did complete Clouds Rest from Yosemite Valley this weekend (22 miles out and back) - there was snow in the last mile leading to the summit, and it took me about an hour to get through that portion (with Yaktrax).

I did unsuccessfully attempt to hike Mt Langley last year in late August (after failing to get a same-day Whitney permit) - turned back about a mile from the summit because of what I thought were gathering stormclouds (but they weren't :( )
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mount Langley conditions

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ckale00
Topix Novice

Post by ckale00 »

Thanks maverick! That looks like more snow than I think I'm honestly prepared to hike through, given lack of experience with iceaxes/crampons. I will be taking the Cottonwood Lakes / New Army Pass route though - hoping that the route is mostly snowfree by the end of June. I'll try calling the ranger station to check if they have any reports on current conditions of the hiking trail closer to my trip date.
TheMarmot
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by TheMarmot »

Hi, here's a pic of New Army Pass and the regular route up Mt Langley. Taken from summit of Cirque Peak this past Sunday 6/11/17. Trail clear up to @11000'(Cottonwood Lks area), then areas of snow up to NAP. Hope that helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Thanks for the post!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ckale00
Topix Novice

Post by ckale00 »

That is beautiful - thanks for the information, TheMarmot! Looking at the pictures and the expanse on Google Maps in 3D brings back memories of the stark beauty and the exhaustion :)

In case NAP happens to be too full of snow for me to try the Mt Langley hike on Jul 1, any suggestions for hikes in that area (that aren't snowbound) that might help me train for a Whitney day hike?
ckale00
Topix Novice

Post by ckale00 »

I just spoke to a Inyo National Forest ranger on the phone - she pointed out that (paraphrasing what I remember here) there's a treacherous cornice on NAP due to the heavy snow season, that the snow is unlikely to melt by the July 4 weekend, and that folks attempting to get to Mt Langley are trying to do it via Cottonwood Pass, circling around Cirque Peak.

Any idea if the route marked on the attached map is what they're referring to (getting to Cirque Peak via Cottonwood Pass and then following a ridge to the top of NAP)?
langley_via_cottonwood_pass_cirque_peak.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ckale00
Topix Novice

Post by ckale00 »

Here's a recording of someone doing exactly that, so I guess its atleast possible: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... aster-peak
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ashery »

I'm confused a bit here: You frame the ranger's response to the route involving "circling around Cirque Peak," but then your map is marked as if you're planning on actually summitting Cirque.

My guess is that the ranger was suggesting you follow the PCT north for a bit after crossing Cottonwood and then heading back east to meet back up with the main Langley route right after it goes over New Army. The short bit of trail to the SW on your map is the PCT as it heads north, and the trail going W from New Army is what you'd approach back on.

Also, the route you posted was done on Aug 9, 2014. Not really applicable to your current situation.

I went up New Army July 1st of last year and we had ~8ft of snow to climb at the top of the pass, so I'm not surprised to hear about its current condition this year.
ckale00
Topix Novice

Post by ckale00 »

Thanks Ashery, what you said makes more sense. On zooming out further, I do see the PCT following the base of Cirque Peak for a bit and it should be possible to walk over to join the other trail to the top of NAP. I'll follow up with the rangers on current conditions before I head out.