The Bear Canister Challenge

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: The Bear Canister Challenge

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Same amount of days for me too with the Bearikade weekender. Nine days food (which is a 10-day trip) at 1.25 pounds and 2600 calories per day. When I fish, I can drop it to 1 pound per day. You do have to be careful about the bulk of your food. For example, thin spaghetti instead of those wide open noodles. I do not use the standard freeze-dried meals - they are quite bulky. I pack it one day per layer with a round cut wax paper between layers. If you stuff your bear can to the hilt, it is hard to do it again in the field if you have to dig around in it too much. Once 3-4 days food is eaten, then the organization of the food is not as critical.

I can go one more day and for the first day keep out a few items that would have little food value to a bear or me for that matter, such as coffee (as much as I like my coffee, it is not absolutely necessary). Also smelly hygiene items would not fit the first few days. You can also plan your first night's camp at a bear box, easy to do for example if going in to Hamilton Lake.

I also have an old Kahmsin 38. What I liked is that I could buy different sized components- medium pack, small waist belt and straps. Great pack. I did an 8-day trip from South Lake to Lakes Basin and out Taboose Pass with that pack. However I did not take a bear can, probably illegal at Barrett Lake the first night. No tent, just a bivy sack. I had to put the bear can vertical in my Go-lite Quest (woman's medium). I did find that the stiffness bothered me when had to do a lot of bending down or rock scrambling- not so much just on the trail.

When I take my Kelty, it is because I am doing a very long trip, a climbing trip with technical gear, or carrying most of the group gear for a family trip, so yes, the pack is full. But I have made my own pack sack and it is considerably smaller than the original. My frame is also the smallest adult size.

I prefer to carry more weight high rather than low, so the bear can on top is perfect for me. Everyone is different.
nunatak
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by nunatak »

My son made this pack for hauling a full size canister. It's under 20oz dry, and actually carries really well with a 30lbs+ load. The top sack is maybe 35 liter, so it's for an ultralight type approach. We have only used it once so far.

I like how I can get food out without halfway unpacking my gear, and how pack fabric is not what hits the ground first when setting it down, or when scrambling/downclimbing.

Actually, I am so in favor of bear cans that I usually just bring one regardless of whether it's required. All my packs have to hold one horizontally. Vertical carry is imo not great.

ImageImage 5-21-17 at 17.36 by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

Ska-T, the old Keltys had a bar that holds the top open in a ridgid manner (not sure if the new ones do). That's the problem....that bar makes for an 8" opening that has no "give". I could try removing the bar, then I'd have some flexibility.
ts
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Can you post a picture of the bar and the opening? Is the bar welded to the frame or is it a fold-able piece that attaches to the frame with pins?
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

have a Sonora,circa late 70's. have inserted both Bearikade Weekender and Bear Vault 500. unlike Tioga, Sonora has undivided compartment, but front panel access. your first picture shows the canister going in depth wide, diameter deep, uses entire perimeter of opening. try inserting with can length vertical, diameter x diameter into opening. may be able to distort opening to oval enough to insert can, and turn can sideways once past the bottleneck in the opening. works w Sonora. bar is foldable, attaches w pins
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Those were my pictures (rlown.) I want to see a pic from tlsharb, maybe with a ruler or a tape measure showing what he is working with, and of course, the bar..

Mine fits fine in the Tioga.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

How's this?
ttachment=2]image.jpg[/attachment]
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thanks. You're right about the 9" thing, but that bar in the back is bendable and looks bent in the first picture. I know I could fit my bearikade in that, when I straightened out the bars. If you need to and only if you want to, you can "bend" the outside bar (backside),get the can in and position at will.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

Well, I'm going on an overnighter in a couple weeks into the Great Gulf Wilderness (up here in the Whites). I think I'll rent a Bearikade Weekender (only costs $22 with shipping), and see how it fits my packs. Thanks for all the input.
ts
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm going to ask a strange off topic question: How are the zippers, straps, and hip belt on your '78 Kelty? Do you trust it, in other words?