Fishing/backpacking partners

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Nimblybimbly
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Fishing/backpacking partners

Post by Nimblybimbly »

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and as the title says, I'm looking to meet people that want to meet up and fly fish. I'm interested in both car camping wade fishing along with backpacking to Alpine lakes.

I'm based in the bay area and I mainly fish Truckee,Tahoe, Tuolumne Meadows,and Mammoth areas.

I'm 32m and I have no clue how people meet other fly fisher people and my family is always worried I'm going to get hurt or lost....so here I am.

Cheers
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Fishing/backpacking partners

Post by rlown »

Welcome to HST!

If you want company, join a club such as Granite Bay Flycasters. http://gbflycasters.org/mission/ My backpacking partner lived there and joined. Your local fly shop should also be able to hook you up with local meet-up groups.

You say "Level 1 hiker". guessing that means minimal long-haul trips, right? What is your goal? I prefer to chuck lures, but I'm good with a fly rod as well.

Russ
Nimblybimbly
Topix Novice

Post by Nimblybimbly »

Is it frowned upon to try and meet people through this forum?

My goal is to meet some trout fishing partners.

I usually hike 2-10 miles a day. I have not done any extensive through hiking more than a few nights.

I'm planning a camping trip in two weeks to either boyington mill or granite flat campground and fishing the Truckee and Little Truckee rivers. If anyone is interested feel free to reach out!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It isn't frowned upon to meet people here. It just seems hard to sync up on schedules. I'm going in late August or early Sept out of the Tuolumne Lodge area and up to Evelyn, Townsley, and HB lakes, for at least 5 days. You're welcome to come along. As you can tell, I like lakes. I have 3 others who I've hiked with for decades, but schedules always conflict/change. Yes, that is Evelyn behind me in the Avatar. Evelyn has 2 beaches, a shallow area and a wade-able bench. She works for all fishing techniques.. Rainbows.

What BP gear do you have?

Russ

PS: I have no permit yet as the schedule gerrymandering continues...
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Oh, yes, the eternal search for buddies. My fishing buddy just told me he has an injury that may keep us from going fishing together this weekend, in fact. Fortunately there are a couple of non fisher folk willing to eat what I catch who are going....

There are hiking groups, I would not be surprised if there aren't fishing groups. I just have not looked much as most of the hikers are plenty happy to eat what I catch.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Give Kiene's website a try, a lot of great fly fishers over there:
http://www.kiene.com/forums/
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

This forum is certainly a great avenue for meeting up with similarly-minded enthusiasts. What we lack in sheer volume of members we make up for in extreme specificity of recreational expertise, I think. :)

I'm no longer in California or I'd shoot you a message, but I've met up with several members of HST on trips (most on purpose, some by happy accident) and they've all been wonderful folks. Good luck with both your search for partners and your exploring!
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

Use meetup.com, I've done quite a few hikes with them and its a good time
Nimblybimbly
Topix Novice

Post by Nimblybimbly »

I haven't seen a fly fishing meetup in california
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

Sounds like a good reason to start one! When you set it up it will automatically alert users who are interested in like activities to check out your new group.