2017 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports / Maps

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Diaz Fire (Lone Pine) 6/23 Update

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
Size: 9 acres
Containment: 0%
Fuel Type: Mixed conifer/ mountain mahogany/sage brush/ grass
Location: southwest of Lone Pine, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains at 9,000 ft.
Cause: Under investigation
Engines: 3
Crews: 4
Aircraft: 3 helicopters
Personnel: 138

The Diaz Fire did not show significant growth yesterday. Fire activity includes creeping and smoldering with occasional rollouts and torching. Fire growth is confined between two wet drainages.

The fire is in steep and inaccessible terrain so crews yesterday scouted indirect firelines for containment. Today, they will begin this line construction. Their focus is on the eastern edge of the fire, where nearby communities west of Lone Pine are their primary concern in the event that that the fire should grow.

Warm, dry conditions remain in the forecast.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Re: 2017 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports / Maps

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Diaz Fire:
IMG_0598.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Schaeffer Fire (Sequoia NF) 6/24 Near Johnsondale

Post by maverick »

InciWeb:
The lighting caused Schaeffer Fire was reported Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 1616 hours. The 200 acre fire is located within the 2002 McNally wildfire (130,000) footprint, on the KRRD, east of the Needles Lookout site and Northeast of Johnsondale.

Fuels include down logs, snags and fifteen-year old whitethorn and mixed brush. Crews are clearing and preparing existing roads and trails for potential holding actions on both the KRRD and WDRD.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5285/

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Schaeffer Fire (Sequoia NF) Update 6/28

Post by maverick »

Sequoia NF:
The Kern River Ranger District (KRRD) of the Sequoia National Forest and Giant Sequoia National Monument received thunderstorm activity over the area, Saturday, June 24th. In the hours that followed, Sequoia’s Jordan Fire Lookout, discovered the lightning caused Schaeffer Fire and reported the smoke at 4:16 p.m.

The fire is burning within the 2002 McNally wildfire area on the KRRD and is presently 586 acres burning in whitethorn, dead and down logs and needle cast.

Suppression planning decisions have been taken on the Schaeffer that are in alignment with the confine and contain strategy of this fire. Confine and contain, on a fire, is the restricting of the fire to a defined area primarily using roads, trails and natural barriers that are expected to restrict the spread of the wildfire under prevailing and forecasted weather conditions. It is a natural ignition (lightning) wildfire with protection objectives and a confine/contain strategy that will likely grow in the coming weeks/months.

Smoke is drifting across the Sierra Crest and visible along Highway 395, between Olancha and Lone Pine. Smoke is also presently visible from many vantage points north of Johnsondale, and along the Lloyd Meadow and Western Divide roads. No road closures are expected at this time.

Fire managers are working closely with the California Air Resource Board and the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District.

For further information, please call the Kern River Ranger Station at (760) 376-3781, 7 days a week, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or the Lake Isabella Ranger Station at (760) 379-5646, M-F.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Bell Fire (Sequoia NF)

Post by maverick »

InciWeb:
At 3:57 today, Tuesday, June 27, 2017, the Bell fire was reported.

The Bell fire is within the Kern River Ranger District of the Sequoia National Forest. The fire is located in the community of Riverkern, 5 miles north of the town of Kernville.

Helicopter 23 gave the first size up as 5-10 acres, in grass and brush. The fire was burning behind the residential area of Riverkern, making runs uphill and away from the homes. Upon initial attack the fire had high potential and homes were at risk. Hazards were powerlines in the area.

2 Air Tankers, 1 Air Attack, 2 helicopters, 2 water tenders, 2 crews and 8 engines, a patrol and overhead (Incident management personnel) were called out. Since initial attack another crew and 2 more Air Tankers and 2 more helicopters arrived on scene.
No evacuations are in place. Road closures are in place for the community of Riverkern, but NOT Mtn. 99 running adjacent to the community.

Bell fire is under investigation.

The fire rate of spread is presently slow to moderate. People are asked not to congregate in the area and to drive with caution as fire equipment, on the ground and in the air, are in the area.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5289

Leadfoot83
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Leadfoot83 »

Question...the interactive map on the first page says 2016. I can't get it to change to 2017. Does anyone know why?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Question...the interactive map on the first page says 2016. I can't get it to change to 2017. Does anyone know why?
Click on "Archive Maps from Previous Years" link under the map to get 2017.

Leadfoot83
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Leadfoot83 »

maverick wrote:
Click on "Archive Maps from Previous Years" link under the map to get 2017.
Ok. Thank you!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Leadfoot83 wrote:Question...the interactive map on the first page says 2016. I can't get it to change to 2017. Does anyone know why?
Good catch. Thanks! Should be fixed now.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Schaeffer Fire (Sequoia NF) 7/3 Update

Post by maverick »

Sequoia NF:
3,660 Acres
3% Contained

Expect similar smoke condition to yesterday's with the exception that this evening's light westerlies may push smoke into Kennedy Meadows and the East Side tonight.

Smoke is drifting across the Sierra Crest and visible along Highway 395, between Olancha and Lone Pine. Smoke can also be seen from many vantage points north of Johnsondale and along the Lloyd Meadow and Western Divide roads.

Fire managers are working closely with the California Air Resource Board and the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District and 233 firefighters, and fire management personnel are assigned to the fire.

Smoke from fires produces particulate matter. People with existing respiratory conditions, young children, and elderly people are especially susceptible to health effects from these pollutants. Air District officials urge residents to follow their doctors’ orders when exposed to particulate matter and stay indoors if at all possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.