6/27-28 Over Taboose Pass

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

6/27-28 Over Taboose Pass

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Hiked over Taboose Pass and north until I could see enough of the peaks I was after to realize they were still too snowy for me to keep trying to deal with the creeks.

There is a section of water damage on the road that begins about 1 mile before the TH and ends about 0.5 mi before the TH. It looks like it's been "smoothed over" but is still pretty rough.

I knew I wouldn't be able to cross Taboose Creek, so I did a 1 mile bypass on the north side of it that took a heck of a long time, through old rockfall debris.

Several sections of snowfields cover the trail on the east side of the pass above about 9600 ft. Lots of suncups across the pass and down the upper part of the west side.

PCTers are staying on the east side of the South Fork Kings River when heading north from where I reached the river. I'd marked 3 log crossings to look at that I saw on the satellite imagery. One had water lapping over it, one had disappeared, and one was completely submerged.

Snow is thick in the trees along the east side of the river, as far as I got.

First crossing of Taboose Creek:
IMG_0602.JPG
Second crossing of Taboose Creek:
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0618.JPG
Kings River:
IMG_0620.JPG
Snow in trees on east side of Kings River:
IMG_0623.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: 6/27-28 Over Taboose Pass

Post by rlown »

I hope everyone sees this report. The pics are worth millions of words, not just a thousand words. That stream looked incredibly like a bad idea to cross.

Teresa, thanks for posting!
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Awesome and incredible with the snow. The pic with the snow cave looks like a glacier! haha
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks so much for posting this report Teresa!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Great report and photos. Nice job on your bypass of those crossings, too. In addition to the scary stream photos, the high altitude photos are also very informative, including the view toward Arrow Peak and Bench Lake. Jeez that's a pretty intense overnighter trip! Up and over the pass (under less than ideal conditions) and then out and then post the next day. Whew.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

I camped in a dry mound of sand in the midst of snow at 11000 ft on the west side of the pass. The second day I hiked down to the river and north to the crossing of the creek that comes down from Cardinal Lake. I could have crossed it on a snow bridge, or waded it without too much worry, but I was not sure I'd be able to in a few days on the return. I hiked all the way out from there at that point. Long day, primarily due to the slow creek bypass and the suncups.

I've been comparing the line graph that shows snow water equivalent for this year to 2010-2011. There was more snow this year than in 2011, but it started melting sooner, and for the last month, it's showed less to about half as much snow this year as then. Also, the maps that show snow cover depth have shown this area as almost snow-free for a week or two, which I knew not to believe. Satellite imagery showed snow-free lines on steep sections of south slopes on the peaks for snowy years/seasons on Google Earth's historical imagery. But south sides of my peaks were still practically all white. Guess you can't make good decisions with bad data.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowap ... art.action
snow depth.jpg
To add insult to injury, the forecast had a low of 40 degrees at 12000 ft, but it was below freezing overnight. Everything was ice in the morning.

Other things I should have mentioned: mosquitoes were about non-existent. Gnats were only a problem near the creeks. I used microspikes, but not crampons/axe/snowshoes/gaiters. Snow was solid even in the afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pictures! :thumbsup:

Here is a shot from a similar location, taken from a little closer to the top of the pass Teresa, but in Aug of 2011. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Teresa Gergen wrote:...
There is a section of water damage on the road that begins about 1 mile before the TH and ends about 0.5 mi before the TH. It looks like it's been "smoothed over" but is still pretty rough. ...
Thanks for the report.

Several of us are hoping to drive up there for the meetup in a few weeks. Would you say the rough part is passable by a typical sedan? Or will we need to add another low and hot mile to our trek?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Teresa any pictures toward Ruskin? Thanks so much for the pictures!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Teresa Gergen wrote:I've been comparing the line graph that shows snow water equivalent for this year to 2010-2011. There was more snow this year than in 2011, but it started melting sooner, and for the last month, it's showed less to about half as much snow this year as then. Also, the maps that show snow cover depth have shown this area as almost snow-free for a week or two, which I knew not to believe. Satellite imagery showed snow-free lines on steep sections of south slopes on the peaks for snowy years/seasons on Google Earth's historical imagery. But south sides of my peaks were still practically all white. Guess you can't make good decisions with bad data.
So far the best predictor for conditions, based on the reports I've heard, appears to have been the snow accumulation as of ca.May 1 at specific spots (ie DWR snow courses). In examining this and comparing past records we find that at the higher elevations (>10000' for "High" Sierra Yosemite and south) the 2017 May 1 snowpack was in the same league as 1969 and 1983 both of which were far greater than 2011 at those elevations. Below 8000' in the "High" Sierra the snowpack was actually not so impressive, so there has been some comparatively early thaw of the lower elevations based on reports (plus my own personal experience in the Jamison Creek area near Lakes Basin three weeks ago). The higher elevations are still thawing out at a pace that is reminiscent of 1969 and 1983, based on the reports that have trickled in.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;