Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
VisaliaIPA
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by VisaliaIPA »

rlown wrote:
VisaliaIPA wrote:No not really....they'll go day hiking but wife isn't a fan of backpacking. I haven't all the gear for my boys yet but they would probably like it....... although I think I'd get tired of them asking "is there wi-fi.....?" LOL
Or, you could tell them that wi-fi can only be used after they catch 3 fish each for dinner :wink: Notice I didn't mention the snipe yet... :)
Exactly....... =D>
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by DaveDill »

Hi All,
I recently stumbled onto this great site and signed up last month. I left a brief introduction over at the Photography topics but then I saw this thread.

I've had a love affair with the High Sierra since the early nineties. After living overseas for a number of years, and longing for Sierra adventures, I moved back to California in 2015. I currently try to get into the backcountry 6-8 times each season, normally for 3-5 nighters accessing from the east side. My travel is generally on-trail when solo but I will do off-trail travel when accompanied. I'm in my mid-fifties, very fit and a relatively strong hiker. The primary focus of my trips has evolved to be landscape photography, although I do often travel with non-photographers. I'm looking forward to participating and contributing in the future.
Dave
newossab
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by newossab »

Hello all,

I have lurking on this forum for a month or two and I figured I need to introduce myself.
I am from the southeast of the US. A relative flat part, I guess that is what fuels my desire to go to explore the High Sierra. I have always loved mountains but have never had the opportunity to explore them, besides a few trips to Utah and the middle east.

I spent 7 years in the military so I know all about humping around a heavy pack and sleeping on the ground but I don't think much of that translates to hiking/backpacking for fun/enjoyment. I have done multiday trips on trails in the southeast but nothing at the elevation of the Sierras.

I am currently planning a trip to hike the High Sierra Trail next June and I plan on exploring the Sierras at least a week or two each year if possible.

Looking forward to interacting with everyone and learning as much as can before stepping off.

Edit: Formatting
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Newossab,

Welcome to HST! Semper Fi. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sws0324
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sws0324 »

Hi All,

Have been enjoying reading the posts on this site for a couple weeks now so thought I'd introduce myself.

My husband and I moved to California about 4 years ago and live in Santa Barbara. We are in our late twenties/early thirties. We go hiking on our local trails with our dog a few times a week but are fairly new to backpacking. We love the Sierra and had our first backpacking trip up there last September at Big Pine Lakes. It was fantastic. We are headed up to Humphreys Basin this weekend with a friend for 3 days/2 nights, and I can't wait to get up there!

Thanks for all the great advice on here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sws0324,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading your TR of Humphreys Basin, past reports are also welcome (Big Pine). ;)
You say you came to CA 4 years ago, from what state?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sws0324
Topix Newbie

Post by sws0324 »

maverick wrote: You say you came to CA 4 years ago, from what state?
Moved from New York City but originally from Florida. Now that I'm in California, I'm hoping to stay here because I absolutely love it!
Radley
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Radley »

Hello. This is Radley. Been a lurker on and off for a few years. I have been camping and backpacking for about 40 years, but there was a substantial hiatus for about 25 years in the middle of that. Started again about 9 years ago. Only one trip of not in the Sierra - the Mountaineer's Route to Whitney summit. Numerous failed attempts to get a JMT permit lead me to the HST departure date Aug. 28.

Thanks, nice to be included and come out of the lurking.
Radley
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Radley,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to the HST TR! :)

karynhiker
Topix Novice

Post by karynhiker »

Hi! My name is Karyn and I am a lurker. Well, I was a lurker, but I posted my first trip report and mosquito report this morning on Emigrant Wilderness. Anyway, I'm a native Californian and have always loved hiking and car-camping (and kayaking for a while in my 20s) in the Sierra. I only started backpacking a couple of years ago. I wish I had started earlier. I've been to Desolation twice, Kaiser, Hoover (Peeler Lake), and Emigrant, along with two trips to Pt Reyes Natn'l Seashore and Henry Coe. This year, I hope to get to Dinky, Jennie and back to Peeler maybe if I can get away from work. I really appreciate everyone's posts. I'm looking forward to contributing more. ~Karyn