2017 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports / Maps

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: 2017 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports / Maps

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The smoke alerts are done by county on the NWS site. But each point you click on, will indicate if that particular area is forecast to have smoke or not.

I have found that often the higher you go the better. I agree, that GCT will likely have smoke, as well as anything on the west side north and east of Yosemite Valley. Last year when there was smoke in Humphreys Basin due to fires, it would be clear in the morning and smoke would drift in later in the afternoon. Thus, any report of someone recently in an area is not necessarily an indication of smoke conditions.
cthenn
Topix Acquainted

Post by cthenn »

If you want to see actual smoke coverage, check out the NASA Worldview satellite imagery. Obviously it's just a snapshot in time, but these images are pretty amazing. Knowing the general wind forecasts can get you a pretty good idea how bad smoke may be.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p ... =3&al=true

edit, link didn't post well, but if you enter the whole thing it's a zoom into the fire complex.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

7/20 Detwiler Fires Impact on YV

Post by maverick »

:eek:

70,096 acres and 10% containment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cantare
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cantare »

When I went thru on 7/18 Tuolumne Meadows was clear enough to enjoy a lunch stop...but the valley was full of smoke, similar to pics above. You couldn't pay me to hike valley to half dome or any rim destination under those conditions! It looks like it cleared up a bit yesterday but the fire is still there.

Timelapse 3-panel webcam covering last several days
BlueSky model smoke coverage forecast (choose latest FireWx 1-km Central Ca)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

North Guard Fire in Kings Canyon NP 7/18

Post by maverick »

Inciweb:
The North Guard Fire in Kings Canyon National Park was reported on Tuesday, July 18 2017, by a wilderness ranger who spotted the smoke. Located east of North Guard Creek and south of Bubbs Creek, the fire is burning at approximately 9,500 feet in steep, rocky terrain with widely-spaced timber. Due to the remote location, elevation, minimal rate of spread, and fuel types, fire staff are monitoring this wildfire and ultimately allowing it to self-extinguish.

The North Guard Fire was patrolled by helicopter on Saturday, July 22 2017. Its current size is less than one acre with limited growth potential. However, wilderness users in Kings Canyon National Park should be advised that smoke from the North Guard Fire may be visible from a distance.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5408/

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Goodale Fire 7/24

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
Fire crews are responding to the Goodale Fire. This fire is located in the mountains above Goodale Campground.
The fire is 1/10 of an acre and at approximately 8,000 ft. in elevation. The cause is under investigation, but there was active lightning in the area. There is no threat to life or property at this time. Smoke is visible along the Highway 395 corridor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

On today's MODIS EOS Worldview satellite see some new very smoky fires across north state that have not yet been posted on fire info sites?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

In northern California alone:
Modoc July Complex Fire: 44,841 acres, 40% contained.
Orleans Complex Fire: 1,222 acres, 0% containment
Island Fire: 1,314 acres, 0% containment
Minerva Fire: 1,050 acres, 15% containment
Clear Fire: 1,900 acres, 10% containment

Some just north of the California border in Oregon.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Grant Fire 7/31 June Lake

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
Fire crews are responding to the #GrantFire, located west of Highway 158 between Silver and Grant Lakes on the June Lake Loop. It is approximately 100 acres. It appears to be a lightning-caused fire that started yesterday evening.

The fire is burning in in the sage in the lower elevations and pinyon/juniper and Jeffrey pine in the higher elevations. The fire burned actively throughout the night.

The forest is ordering additional fire crews and air resources for aggressive suppression today. The focus will be on protecting the June Lake community with the effort focused on keeping the fire west of Highway 158 and north of the June Lake developments.

Highway 158 is closed between mile marker 8 and 9. However, please avoid the fire area to assist fire crews in their response.

ibexdoc
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ibexdoc »

Maverick, Thanks for the post, we were hiking up Bloody Canyon then and went over to Parker Pass and saw a lot of smoke. This explains what we saw and where the smoke was coming from. Glad they got it under control so quickly