climbing an unnamed peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
sa.node.alamode
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

climbing an unnamed peak

Post by sa.node.alamode »

Heya everybody, I have some questions about a trip that I'm going on tomorrow. I'm looking to climb the peak that looms over pearl lake. How's the snow out there right now? Any pro tips on how to scale it? The max gradient is about 40%, Is that doable? We're going to get onto the ridge from cathedral lake, then to the top; is that better than going up the more gradual snowy side?
sa.node.alamode
Topix Newbie

Re: climbing an unnamed peak

Aaand I'm leaving tomorrow so now or never :(
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Upper part of that basin still has quite a bit of snow and upper lakes may only be partially thawed. You can access the peak from the southern part of Pearl Lake or from Cathedral Lake, there is a class 3 summit block. Make sure you have experience with snow, ice axe and crampons, and have climbing experience, would recommend you pick another summit, with less drama at the summit, and go when there is less snow. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sa.node.alamode
Topix Newbie

Thank you!