Winter in the Middle of July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Winter in the Middle of July

Post by riverwalker »

Thanks for the TR. Need to get out and wet a line now!
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

windknot wrote:Excellent report and beautiful photos! Both your writing and your images expertly convey the pure joy of exploring and especially fishing for trout in the High Sierra.

On a slightly different note, I've been curious for a handful of years now but haven't remembered to ask you yet -- what kind of camera do you use when backpacking? The lens appears to have a pretty wide angle, which to this untrained eye seems to help even more to emphasize the vastness of the Sierra.
Thanks for the compliments. I've used your blog extensively in my planning over the years - this one is no exception.

The last two years I've used a Sony A6000 with a 10-18mm f4 lens. It is ultra wide angle which is awesome for landscapes. It's a great backpacking setup because it is small and fairly light compared to DSLRs (1.5lbs all in) but has a lot of horsepower so to speak. Good quality to weight ratio.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Nice. I traded in my Sony NEX-5R mirrorless compact system recently for an iPhone SE (more all-around utility while sacrificing some photo quality) but am thinking about picking up a used Panasonic Lumix LX-3 or LX-5 expressly for the purpose of wide, sweeping landscape shots and perspective-enhancing fish macros.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

My Panasonic Lumix LX-3 (my only camera) has been going great and taken probably 20,000 photos since I got it in 2009. The sharp wide-angle lens and wide aperture (f/2) is great, but I do miss not having any telephoto capability. It only has the 35mm equivalent zoom of 24 to 60 mm.
-Phil
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tie »

I don't fish and find this not-naming thing a bit weird. Doesn't everyone recognize these photos? Thanks very much for the trip report!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

tie wrote:I don't fish and find this not-naming thing a bit weird. Doesn't everyone recognize these photos? Thanks very much for the trip report!
Given this is an open access internet site, and some of us who do fish don't want to return the next year or two and see 2-5 other parties stacked up at the spots. If the spot isn't named, its better for the fish and the future. The internet is too easy to use to ID places.

Some may not be stewards of the resources...
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

wildhiker wrote:My Panasonic Lumix LX-3 (my only camera) has been going great and taken probably 20,000 photos since I got it in 2009. The sharp wide-angle lens and wide aperture (f/2) is great, but I do miss not having any telephoto capability. It only has the 35mm equivalent zoom of 24 to 60 mm.
-Phil
Yeah, I had an LX-3 for a handful of years and honestly think I liked it better as an all-purpose backpacking point-and-shoot than the Sony NEX-5N I replaced it with.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

tie wrote:I don't fish and find this not-naming thing a bit weird. Doesn't everyone recognize these photos? Thanks very much for the trip report!
Yup, the point of sharing photos but not names is so that all readers can identify the trip location, while keeping this thread from being indexed and thus searchable when fishing-minded folks troll the internet for recent reports on "XYZ Specific Lakes." It's how we fisherfolk have decided to share with the community while limiting sharing with the entire worldwide web, so now everyone else just humors us.
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jorrflv »

It is great to see you back... Remember we met at "an unnmaed lake". We were the group of 4 - 2 Father Daughter pairs. We saw you catch one of those goldens. Awesome trip report!
thebacs
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by thebacs »

It is great to see you back... Remember we met at "an unnmaed lake". We were the group of 4 - 2 Father Daughter pairs. We saw you catch one of those goldens. Awesome trip report!
Wow, so cool you posted here. We trust your trip was successful and everyone is safely home with amazing memories. While we were impressed with the dads, obviously the two girls were who we talked about for the rest of the day. Would love to here how the rest of your trip went. (PS - I'm the dad on that trip)