TR: North Lake to Florence Lake Via Davis lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: North Lake to Florence Lake Via Davis lake

Post by jorrflv »

Well it has been a week since we have returned and well work got in the way of me writing this report. We had a great trip!

Day 1: North Lake to Upper Lamarck Lake Track(https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/tra ... 1a5486ce1/)
We got to the trail head in mid afternoon, the trail was in good shape and we met many hikers between the trail head and Lower Lamarck. The trail had some snow, but the "second" creek crossing between lower and Upper Lamarck was what slowed us down a bit. We were able to cross successfully and camp at Upper Lamarck Lake that evening.

Photos:
Tailhead

Creek Crossing 1

Snow on Trail

Creek Crossing 2

Day 2
We stayed an extra day at Upper Lamarck Lake

Upper Lamarck Lake

Found this cool snow bridge

Day 3: Track (https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/tra ... 8da876ea5/)

This day we departed Upper Lamarck Lake and traveled up and over Lamarck Col. We had to cross a couple of snow fields and used crampons to get up over the Col. The use trail on the back side of the Col was slow go but doable. There was only one snow field that we choose to go around.

Heading up the Switchbacks

Crampons Ready

up the first snow field

The Col is in Sight

Up we go

We Made it

Down we go

Ready for bed between Darwin Lake #3 & #4 #nofilter

Day 4: Track (https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/tra ... 12a0ec649/)(note:started tracker a bit late)
Today we departed for Wanda Lake (we would not see another person for 2 days from this point). We had some snow to travel around in Darwin Canyon. Darwin's Bench was stunning. The water was flowing, the trail was apparent, and it was downhill. Once we joined the JMT we found out that we would have snow from Sapphire Lake on. The JMT was covered with snow starting just beyond Evolution Lake and we were walking in it until the next day. Wanda lake was completely frozen and surrounded by snow.

Post breakfast "selfie"

Traveling around Darwin Lake 2

Lunch at the Bench

Waterfall in the Bench

The girls met a friend at Evolution Lake

Crossing above Evolution Lake

Before Sapphire Lake

Approaching our camp at Wanda

Day 5 Track (https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/tra ... 2fd2bf255/)
On this day we departed Wanda Lake and headed over the pass towards Davis Lake. The ascent was snowy and sun cupped. Once over the saddle the snow disappeared for a while, but we had some tricky snow crossings while traveling around the lake. The use trail was covered with snow that basically dropped straight into the lake. We determined that we were able to make the crossings safely and did so successfully. After Davis Lake we followed the amazing Goddard Creek down to the San Joaquin River where we camped for the night.

Leaving our camp, heading towards the saddle to Davis Lake

A frozen Wanda and Sun Cups

sun cups

Looking towards Davis Lake

Day 6: Track (https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/tra ... 0bf7881b3/)
This day we crossed the San Joaquin River first thing in the morning. Where we crossed it was shallow but very swift. The dads each crossed twice with the packs and the girls navigated extremely well. After this it was smooth sailing. The Goddard Canyon trail was in really good shape except for some fallen trees during the northernmost part of the trail. I am guessing this is what causing others coming from the north to turn back, but once you are past the first set of fallen trees the trail is amazing. Seeing the canyon so full of water was just breathtaking. We camped along the river just before exiting Kings Canyon NP along the JMT. This was our favorite day!

Crossing the River

So much water

More Water

Looking North Down Goddard Canyon

More Water

A cool spot to sit

Group shot

Day 7: Track (https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/tra ... 7b1d9eec9/)
This was our last day. Out to Florence Lake... Not as many pictures as we were moving fairly quickly. The trail was dusty in some spots and Muddy in others. We always knew when the fairy had dropped off a new batch of hikers as we would meet people coming the other direction in large groups. We took the ferry across and hit up a hotel in Fresno before driving home to Las Vegas.

Leaving KCNP and entering the Wilderness

Knock Knock - John Muir Cabin

DONE
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: North Lake to Florence Lake Via Davis lake

Post by giantbrookie »

Outstanding trip and what an adventure for the kids! Those are some tough kids--some serious young mountain goats. Mine have a lot of work to do to catch up with them!
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Wow, great trip! It looks like the air quality was pretty darn good except for a bit of fuzz in that one shot down Darwin canyon. And, I have only seen the pig chute in low water, so that shot you got of it bursting at the seams kind of tells you how it got its name. Very cool! Thanks, Cameron
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I'm quite impressed. Most excellent job dads! Huge accomplishment you two young sweet peas.

David
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

jorrflv, I really enjoyed your pictures especially the one looking down Darwin Canyon.

It's incredible what ten days can do to snow. I was reading robertseeburger's trip report http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... f=1&t=1633 and his July 10 picture of Davis Lake is really snowy. In your picture, the snow has significantly melted. I wouldn't be surprised if the use trail to the lake is almost melted out now.
thebacs
Topix Acquainted

Post by thebacs »

We met at the "unnamed lake". Looks like you guys had an amazing trip. Your pics are incredible and confirm that we, myself and the boys, made the correct decision of not heading up to Davis and Martha lakes. Too much ice, not enough open water for fishing.

Congrats on an amazing and safe trip! Tell the girls how proud we are to have met them on the trail.
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for the TR
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Fantastic! Love to see kids in the mountains, especially on such a challenging route. Cheers, the Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

How old are the girls? I am very impressed that they did such a trip. And used crampons too! I would think the deep sun cups were very tedious for them. However, sun cups and snow may be easier than the talus around Davis Lake when the snow is gone. How did they do with the altitude? Kids can react differently than adults. Are they siblings, cousins, or just friends?

Great photos too. I had Ionian Basin on my agenda late August. What is your guess on conditions then?
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Wow! Well done! Great trip. Go girls!