Requesting info on Langley...

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Mtncaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Requesting info on Langley...

Post by Mtncaddis »

I am considering hiking NAP to the summit of Mt. Langley and am curious about the scrambling involved. I would follow the cairns set by the NPS so as to minimize my impact and thereby be taking what I assume would be the most pedestrian route. How exposed is the section of scrambling along that route? Is it very technical at all? I ask this as someone who has spent many years living and playing in 3k ft to 6k ft forested mountains and who struggles with being comfortable hiking along highly exposed trails/cliffs. I love the Sierra and being at or above tree-line. I have spent about a combined 5 weeks hiking in the Sierra - mostly YNP and the JMT sobo. As a point of reference to my growing comfort level: Forester pass and Mt Whitney from Trail Crest along the needles/windows are two areas that caused some me some real anxiety (and - later- joy). It sounds like Langley is less exposed than Forester pass or Whitney but has more scrambling involved. Any description of the most technical and/or exposed section of the standard Langley route would be much appreciated. What I'm seeing in pics online looks pretty mellow. Thanks in advance!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Requesting info on Langley...

Post by Jimr »

Not exposed or technical at all. It's basically just an inclined walk up.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

MntCaddis,

Have you ever climbed a 14er? You will probably have more trouble with the altitude. Just follow the cairns shown in my report here:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =32&t=9744

Good Luck! Langley is the easiest 14er. The most exposure you will see is going up the switchbacks on NAP. Keep on the look out with your camera to capture a picture of a goat if you are lucky!

Please be sure to post a report.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Mtncaddis
Topix Acquainted

Post by Mtncaddis »

Thanks for the feedback Jimr and Russ.
Russ: The only 14er I have climbed is Whitney. I certainly felt the altitude but had no symptoms of AMS. Before going up Langley I will spend one night around 8k feet and another night or two around 10k/11k feet, and also plan to meet many of the trout that live in Cottonwood lakes. My camera stays on the sternum strap of my pack and I will be watching for bighorns. I have yet to have the good fortune of seeing them.

I'll post a TR when return in October.
Ultrajen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ultrajen »

I went up yesterday. I saw one big horn pretty high up but would've missed it if someone didn't point it out to me. Conditions are perfect right now.
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tie »

Sunday was fine, but smoke everywhere on Monday. Yuck.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Once you get bored with Langley, I suggest White Mountain Peak. It is slightly higher and has a jeep road all the way to the summit. There are bighorn sheep there as well.