Mineral King/Silver City Camping Help

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
smokeythebear
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mineral King/Silver City Camping Help

Post by smokeythebear »

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster. I've hiked and camped in the Mineral King area several times--both in the campsites and back country.

My brother and I are headed up this weekend for the labor day holiday to do eagle lake (permit is ready to go). We're not likely to get to the area until late Friday. Is anyone going to be in Silver City on Friday (either at Atwell or the Springs . . . or at the resort) that wouldn't mind if we a pitch a tent at their site? By the time we get up there on Friday night the campgrounds will be full and I really dont want to stay down in Three Rivers. Thanks!
Goat
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mineral King/Silver City Camping Help

Post by Goat »

I cant really speak for the holiday weekend, but we were there two Saturdays ago and there were still a couple spots left at Cold Springs by 7PM. We saw a bunch of sites open at Atwell Mill just by driving by. You may get lucky.
smokeythebear
Topix Newbie

Post by smokeythebear »

Yeah it's a crap shoot I guess. I drove up two weeks ago and arrived up there around 11pm. Both Atwell and Cold Spring were totally full (drove around the sites to make sure).
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

In August 2016, on a non-holiday weekend, we arrived at Cold Springs CG on a Thursday evening around 8 or 9 pm and got one of the very last sites. The CG filled up that night. In the morning, as we left, people were hovering to take over our site.

We made a mental note not to ever bother driving up there on a Friday evening.

I heard Cold Springs was written up in a national magazine, in a feature article titled something like, "Best campgrounds in America you didn't know about." Well, everyone who read the article now knows about it. ](*,)

- Elizabeth
smokeythebear
Topix Newbie

Post by smokeythebear »

oleander wrote:In August 2016, on a non-holiday weekend, we arrived at Cold Springs CG on a Thursday evening around 8 or 9 pm and got one of the very last sites. The CG filled up that night. In the morning, as we left, people were hovering to take over our site.

We made a mental note not to ever bother driving up there on a Friday evening.

I heard Cold Springs was written up in a national magazine, in a feature article titled something like, "Best campgrounds in America you didn't know about." Well, everyone who read the article now knows about it. ](*,)

- Elizabeth
Super duper annoying.

Still hoping someone can help a brother (actually two brothers!) out! Just got the email that Silver City Resort is going to be totally full.