2017 Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sphinx Col, Cinder Col, Longley Pass 8/25-8/26

Post by tomba »

Not East Sierra, but this thread seems to be the place to report all snow conditions in High Sierra this year.

Sphinx Col: A minor snow field, easy to cross.
Cinder Col: A steeper snow, almost a cornice, blocks the actual saddle. Easy to cross between the two small lakes on the pass instead, crossing a gentle snow field beyond them.
South Guard Lake: An annoying snow field on SE side, OK to cross (had only trekking poles and minimalist shoes, crossed late afternoon). Better not to try to go around W side - steep snow overhanging the lake.
Longley Pass: An impressive cornice, but easy to bypass at south end. Then, walk below the cornice towards the north end before descending east.

Link to the map of this area.

Longley Pass cornice:
DSC28184-longley-pass.jpeg
Longley Pass cornice bypass:
DSC28176-longley-pass.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: 2017 Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Post by cgundersen »

Tomba,
Wow! That's the best snowpack I've seen on Longley. Well, other folks on this site may have encountered taller, more-ominous versions, but that top shot really looks daunting. Yes, the lower shot puts it in perspective, but I could imagine being a little nervous on the approach. Very cool!
Thanks,
Cameron
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

That is a impressive cornice especially for the last week in August. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Texan
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Hey Tomba,

Thanks for the great photos! It looks like you had a really nice alpine flower garden up there too. I have been turned around by the cornice at Longley; I guess it catches a lot snow from the west. Great post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.