cell phone reception along JMT.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cakeday
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

cell phone reception along JMT.

Post by cakeday »

good afternoon good people :)

i leave for JMT on 9/18 out of Lyell Canyon all the way to whitney portal. excited, nervous, can't wait.. so many emotions !

Anywho, the reason for this message is --

Can anyone tell me where along JMT can i possible find cell phone signal ? if at all. this way, i can try looking for signal along those patches any try to call the loved ones ;)

i am taking Gen3 Spot for SOS and other one way messages which i will be sending along the way.

My cell phone carrier is Verizon.

Thank you !
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: cell phone reception along JMT.

Post by franklin411 »

I've never been on the JMT, but if you decide to take a side trip into Independence...I was able to upload photos when I had Verizon from Kearsarge Pass and Mt. Gould. Probably anywhere with a direct line of sight to a reasonably close town is worth a shot.

People were sending texts from the summit of Mt Whitney as well. I tried, and my phone showed a signal, but nothing got out.
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

Not sure the carrier, but a few were able to get cell service at the VVR ferry pickup on Lake Edison on my 2009 JMT hike.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I was able to get cell reception this year at Bear Ridge Trail from the trailhead at Lake Edison dam to the JMT and Reds Meadow up to about 2 miles south with ATT. Two years ago, I had a couple of bars on top of Forester Pass with Verizon, but I couldn't get a text message out anyway. I did have reception on top of Whitney and got a text message out with Verizon two years ago.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Any place with line of site to mammoth mountain.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rodfrogfarkler
Topix Novice

Post by rodfrogfarkler »

We got a bar of service...enough to send a text message atop Forester Pass using ATT. This was in 2014.
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

VVR, if I remember correctly has the ATT tower (of sorts) by the dam. In 2015, my dad and I used his phone (ATT) and I couldn't use mine (Verizon). I've always checked around to see what Verizon has to offer when I'm out there and have never had any luck, JMT or not.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I was able to reserve a hotel room while on Whitney Peak. We also had cell coverage near Mammoth and near Yosemite valley. We use ATT.
Jeff
DiamondEyedJack
Topix Acquainted

Post by DiamondEyedJack »

I get spotty Verizon service atop Shepherd Pass and on Mt. Williamson. So if you want, you could day hike up to the pass from Tyndall junction and say hi to your pals.
Krazy Kat peeking through a lace bandana, like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed jack
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

As mentioned, for ATT, decent service anywhere in sight of Mammoth, spotty service off Whitney and along some parts of the crest north and south from there, and the top of the hill with the aspen forest to the far east of Lake Edison has excellent service, you don't need to go far from the trail or go to the dam or VVR. I can't remember for sure but I recall getting some service near the visitor center where the JMT drops into Tuolumne, but not anywhere east of there. It seemed like the Verizon folks used to do better but a shuttle driver on 395 told me that ATT has caught up. Regarding the other spots mentioned not on the JMT, I did not try Shepard's Pass although sightlines to the valley suggest it is probable, but I do remember firing off a text pic from either Mt. Williamson or Tyndall, and texting while on the Whitney Mountaineers route lower down near the ledges but some distance above the trailhead.