Fall weather 9/21-23

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Fall weather 9/21-23

Post by maverick »

Heads up.
Snow showers, with temps in the low 20's, forecasted for the Sierra on the above dates.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Fall weather 9/21-23

Post by rlown »

Bring it.. I leave on the 24th.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks man, I was planning on taking the wife and dog to cottonwood lakes for an easy weekender.
Space Cat
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Space Cat »

Cool, thanks for heads up. Doing North to South Lake loop starting the 23rd. Last year i did this hike around this same time of year and temps bottomed out a 15* in Humphry's Basin. We are all eager to get out there but will definitely bring an extra layer
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

When Bodie is recording the national low temp (20 and 17 F the last couple days), you know it's going to be chilly up there! Well, at least there will be a lot of last year's snow to mix with any new stuff! cg
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

We were out this past weekend and the weather was perfect. A little chilly at night, and just cool enough during the day where a layer on your arms felt good but not so much you would over heat while hiking.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

See my trip report on SEKI loop. Also lots of great photos on the PCT hiker blogs. Not so much deep snow, but very cold (like 10-degrees at 10,000') and vrery wind (light snow white-out). Supposed to slowly warm up by end of this week.

One reason my trip was so cold is that the canyons (Cloud and Deadman) throw both morning and afternoon shadows, chilling things quickly. If you plan for campsites that get the most of the sun, you will be warmer. Just be sure to have a good sleeping bag that is rated for 10-20 derees.