Maroon Bells - 4 pass loop 9-7 to 9-11

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Maroon Bells - 4 pass loop 9-7 to 9-11

Post by overheadx2 »

A42B4667 (2).jpg
Did Quick trip to Aspen to do the 4 pass loop in the Maroon Bells wilderness. There is a no quota permit system which was good and bad since permits are easy to get, but makes the area pretty crowded. Since it was after labor day, the crowds were reduced, but still more than I like. That said, it was very similar to the sierra in the fact that if you get off the main trail even a half mile you can find solitude.
The hike was amazing and each day we were amazed at the new beauty as we summited another pass.
pass 2.jpg
A42B4176.jpg
pass 3.1.jpg
I much as I was amazed at the extreme natural beauty that is significantly different from the sierra, I was disappointed at the lack fishing along the trail. Most creeks were very small and at 11k' to 12k' seemed to be devoid of any significant fish. We did see some nice fish at Snowmass lake, but were unable to land any thing although I must admit that we didn't really try that hard due to rain.
A42B4390.jpg
A42B4424.jpg
A42B4436.jpg
Each day was very similar with a campsite at about 10600' and a 12400' pass over a 6 to 7 mile hike.
Overall it was spectacular. A little crowded, but not to bad, the popular areas to camp were pretty over used, but we were at the end of the season.
A42B4297.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maroon Bells - 4 pass loop 9-7 to 9-11

Post by maverick »

Very nice! The first shot is a classic and will have hordes of photographers there in a few weeks, for the Fall colors.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Yes, the aspens where starting to turn. In a few weeks it should be incredible. The place is a photographers dream. It's trips like this that make me wish I had better photo skills.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I'd say your photo skills are pretty good so far.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We are taking a road trip with the trailer to Durango, to see my daughter, in two weeks. I hope the Aspen are turning by then. I was there about the same time two years ago and it was peak colors. However, we are not hualing the trailer over from Silverton- instead will just drive up there from Durango. That road is pretty scary, even without a trailer! Was your route part of the Colorado Trail?
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I have no idea WD. It's a 26 mile loop out of aspen, but don't know about the Colorado Trail. The colors should be amazing now. They were just turning when we were leaving. Have a great time!
jartelt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jartelt »

Awesome pictures! I wonder how long before they institute a permit system?
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I would imagine it has to be soon. It was nice just self permitting at the trail head and not having to jump through the permit hoops, but with such beauty it is inevitable that the place is really over used. Lots and I mean LOTS of toilet tissue and sort of buried human waste at the popular spots. Also very surprised to see a complete disregard for fire regulations along the trail as fire rings were everywhere even though prohibited and many active camp fires were noted along the way even though it was prohibited. I had kind of assumed it would be crowded so we ended up camping across the river and off of the loop trail several nights in order to get some solitude. We did camp at Snow mass Lake one night in order to get some photos, and it was very similar to LYV. Next trip to Colorado will be to a more remote location like some had suggested in my earlier post for intel.